- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 185
- Garden / Landscaping — 168
- Appliance / Repair — 149
- Interior Design / Decor — 131
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 95
- Real Estate / Finance — 95
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 72
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 68
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 61
- Safety / Security — 59
- Construction / Materials — 57
- Plumbing / Basements — 56
How to Prevent Drafts in the Home
by Guest on Jan 13, 2010
Preventing drafts in the home not only makes for a more comfortable atmosphere, but saves a homeowner considerable monies on energy bills.
Step 1: Doors and windows are the most common places where a draft enters the home, and each one needs assessed as to the severity of the draft present. This can be accomplished by placing a lit candle near each door and window, and watching the manner in which the flame moves, or in extreme cases, is extinguished.
Step 2: Drafts should first be addressed on the outside of the home, by caulking window and door frames with a latex sealant.
Step 3: On the inside of windows, drafts can be prevented by using weatherstripping placed around the frame of an opened window, and on older wooden windows caulking serves as an excellent draft barrier.
Step 4: On windows in areas that are rarely used in the home, plastic sheeting can be attached to the frame to prevent drafts. There are any number of commercial kits available for this purpose.
Step 5: Doors that have a draft present can be remedied with weatherstripping made of felt, stapled directly to to door frame to create a tight seal. At the door bottom, the installation of a new threshold or even an entrance mat placed against the door can reduce a draft instantaneously.
Step 6: In severe instances of draft, the frame of a door or window can be removed, and aerosol foam insulation can be injected into open spaces to stop a draft.
Tips: Remember, every small amount of cold air from a draft that is diminished is money in your pocket by reducing energy bills.
Most Recent Articles
- May 22, 2017 Choosing the Right Garage Door for your Home by Guest
- Oct 20, 2016 How to Turn Your Garage into a Home Gym by Alex Cordier
- Sep 25, 2016 Problems with Frozen Locks and Solutions by Ronald Cutts
- Aug 16, 2016 Building The Ideal Garage by Jane Brown
- Jun 15, 2016 How Expert Carport Entryway Repair Can Keep Your Home Safe by Guest