- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 183
- Garden / Landscaping — 164
- Appliance / Repair — 141
- Interior Design / Decor — 127
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 92
- Real Estate / Finance — 89
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 67
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 65
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 59
- Safety / Security — 59
- Construction / Materials — 56
- Windows / Siding — 56
Fall Planting and Gardens
by Dan Eskelson on Apr 30, 2012
This time of year nurseries and garden centers are reminding us that "fall is for planting"....depending on your region, fall may offer a good window for plant establishment. Here in the "far north" (zone 5, sometimes zone 4), late august and early September offer cooler daytime air temperatures and continued warm soil temperatures...this is ideal for transplanting. New root growth will establish before winter sets in.
Some years however, weather can turn very wet and cool later in September in our region; so we try to shoot for the two week window in early September. Your region may be quite different, but understanding seasonal weather patterns and soil conditions (temperature and moisture) will allow you to make the informed decision. For instance, I will be more hesitant to plant in a heavy clay soil in the fall than in a sandy one.
As an aside, much of my garden advice contains the phrase "site specific"...though you will find excellent information from a number of garden "experts," this must be filtered through your understanding of your specific site, soil, region and level of horticultural understanding...each situation is different.
Dan Eskelson @ Clearwater Landscapes, Inc.
Most Recent Articles
- Jan 26, 2017 Hiring a Skip for Your Garden and Domestic Refuse by Mladen Pupovac
- Jan 18, 2017 Lawn Maintenance: Is Your Lawn Revealing About You? by Charlie Brown
- Dec 8, 2016 Glass Fencing: Finding Balance in the Yard with this Simple Addition by Kelly Maynard
- Nov 24, 2016 What is a French Drain and How to Do It by Yourself? by Scott Doyle
- Oct 19, 2016 Landscaping - Keeping your Yard in Good Condition by Charlie Brown