- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 178
- Garden / Landscaping — 161
- Appliance / Repair — 141
- Interior Design / Decor — 117
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 91
- Real Estate / Finance — 78
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 64
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 59
- Windows / Siding — 53
- Builders Associations — 52
- Doors / Garages — 52
- Safety / Security — 52
Repairing Holes Through Plaster Walls - 2 Methods
by Michigan State University on May 14, 2012
If there is a large hole through the wall, patching plaster will not stick.
Method 1 Wall Patching
- Mark a rectangle on the wall which includes the hole.
- With a knife or key hole saw cut out the rectangle being careful not to break it.
- On a scrap piece of plaster-board, copy the section of the wall.
- Then mark a frame about 2" wide around the section of wall.
- After cutting, remove the paper on one side and the plaster from the frame around the patch. The 2" frame of paper will stick out like an ear all around which will hold the patch in place.
- Spread patching plaster around the edge of the hold and around the edge of the patch. Put the patch in the hole and press the paper ears into the plaster and hold it while it sets.
- Sand lightly and paint.
Repairing Holes Through Plaster Walls - Method 2
- Cut a piece of metal plaster lath or heavy screen larger than the hole.
- Fasten one or two wire ties to the lath and insert through the hole.
- Pull the lath up behind hole and wire to a stick of wood placed across the hole on the front side of the wall.
- Moisten the edge of the hole and spread a base coat of patching plaster to within 1/8" of the finished surface. Roughen the surface with a stick or nail so the finish coat will stick.
- After the base layer is dry, remove the stick and clip the wires close to the surface.
- Trowel on the finish layer being sure it is flush with the wall surface.
- Let it dry well and then paint.
- If the patched area is large, apply a coat of sizing before painting.
Walls / Ceilings / Attics 1822 Views
Most Recent Articles
- Jan 13, 2016 Attic Fans Cause Headaches for Plumbers by Guest
- Sep 2, 2015 Learning all about the Concertina Loft Ladder by Derek Crowden
- Nov 9, 2014 Improving the Value of Your Home with an Exterior Wall Coating by Andy Wood
- Apr 8, 2014 Here is Why I Choose Spray Foam Insulation for my Home by Peter Simon
- Apr 10, 2013 How to Convert Your Attic to a Home Theater by Tom Brown