- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 219
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 213
- Appliance / Repair — 172
- Interior Design / Decor — 150
- Real Estate / Finance — 135
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 107
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 101
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 101
- Doors / Garages — 98
- Improvements / Remodeling — 93
- Construction / Materials — 89
- Plumbing / Basements — 87
Budget Ideas for a Whole New Look
by Guest on Mar 26, 2010
With fresh trends in interior design that are enjoying great popularity, you may be coveting a different ambience for your own living space. Fortunately, a whole new look can be achieved for very little cost and some creativity. Here are some ideas for a budget makeover for any room.
Paint the walls
The most affordable way to create a dramatically different look for a room is to paint the walls. Even painting a single wall or a decorative border or mural on the wall can have a great effect. Think about what mood you want to bring about in the space when choosing your new paint color.
Paint or stain furniture
Changing the color of main furniture pieces changes the look of the room. Coordinate the color and finish of your furniture, or try something different by having a few pieces stand out in bold colors. Don’t forget faux finishing techniques like antiquing or imitating the look of marble or granite.
A very effective way to add color, pattern, and texture to a room is to hang wallpaper on a single wall or area. You can find inexpensive wallpaper online or at discount stores, or look for discontinued wallpaper at paint stores or home decorating stores.
Create your own art
A new focal point in a room can create a very different look, and what better focal point to have than your own one-of-a-kind art. With some imagination, almost anything can be used to make your art piece, from fabrics to natural objects to a collection of bottle caps.
Change window treatments
Replace your blinds with curtains, or your curtains with shades. Add a swag valance, build a box cornice, turn a bed sheet into drapes, or apply frosted window film to your windows. There are many possibilities when it comes to updating your window treatments to change the look of a space.
Use decorative paper on furniture
Scrapbook paper can be very useful in adding interesting pattern and a pop of color in unexpected places. Attach the decorative paper to armoire doors, drawer fronts, and the sides of tables. Coat with a layer of clear polyurethane to make it last.
Give your room a new look by changing the light fixtures or lamps. Swap those in the living room for those in bedroom. Or consider changing the location of your light fixtures if you are also rearranging your furniture. Redecorate or add embellishments to your lamp shades for an inexpensive makeover.
Add a floor cloth
A budget alternative to an area rug, floor cloths are durable and can be painted or stenciled in your own designs. Placing a floor cloth in a kitchen or dining area adds warmth and color to a bare floor.
Change decorative displays
Replace your existing displays with other artwork or collections that have been stored away. For example, on the mantel above a fireplace, replace a large oil painting with an arrangement of smaller photographs. Having something different to look at offers a new perspective.
Most Recent Articles
- Sep 26, 2019 Clever Home Theatre Seating Design Features You Need to Know by Martyn Weber
- Aug 15, 2019 Seven Things to Remember When Designing the Rooms in Your Home by Jane Brown
- Jul 11, 2019 Luxury Interior Design Can Breathe New Life In To Any Home by Jason Mills
- Jun 4, 2019 The Advantages and Disadvantages of Platform Beds by Guest
- May 23, 2019 Get Inspired in the Decision to Buy a Home and the Best Interior Design Trends to Give a Go by Roger