- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 196
- Garden / Landscaping — 176
- Appliance / Repair — 152
- Interior Design / Decor — 142
- Real Estate / Finance — 104
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 100
- Doors / Garages — 88
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 80
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 71
- Plumbing / Basements — 69
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 67
- Construction / Materials — 66
Plan Twice, Plant Once
by Dan Eskelson on May 2, 2012
The mail order nursery companies certainly have done their marketing research! Extravagently colored catalogs arrive during the darkest, coldest months of the year, tantalizing us with promises of warm weather and beautiful gardens. The phrase 'impulse purchase' was likely coined by the marketing department of one of these companies. In my travels through the yards of landscape customers over the years, I have seen countless examples of plants (or other landscape features) that the owner "just had to have" - often to the detriment of the unity of their landscape.
Resist the temptation to order the "new and improved" shrub, or "best tasting" vegetable seed until you have thoroughly evaluated plans for your new or renovated gardens. Create an entire plan first, based on sound design principles, before you invest in the individual elements of your landscape. A primary goal of design is to create a unified, cohesive landscape, which in turn creates harmony for owners and visitors. Impulse purchases most often produce the opposite effect. Take advantage of the offer below, or conduct your own research on landscape design and planning. You'll find a wealth of good ideas online and at your local library. Remember to Plan Twice, Plant Once.
Dan Eskelson @ Clearwater Landscapes, Inc.
Most Recent Articles
- Dec 11, 2017 A Guide to Garden Landscaping and Maintenance by Martin Gracewell
- Nov 26, 2017 Love Your Landscape: Creating the Perfect Outdoor Space for Your Home is Easy by Tom Grant
- Oct 9, 2017 Garden Water Features and Fish – Basic Tips You Should Know About by T. Lopez
- Oct 9, 2017 9 Amazing Design Tips and Techniques for Starting a Small Garden by James Cummings
- Oct 4, 2017 How to Maintain Your Lawn by Guest