- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 206
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 199
- Appliance / Repair — 154
- Interior Design / Decor — 143
- Real Estate / Finance — 108
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 103
- Doors / Garages — 97
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 91
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 84
- Construction / Materials — 76
- Plumbing / Basements — 75
- Safety / Security — 75
Homemade Headboards-Make an Upholstered or Wooden Headboard
by Guest on Jan 12, 2010
Homemade headboards can add a lot of personality to any bedroom. They can be coordinated with existing furniture and room decor or they can be the basis of a bedroom makeover. Invest a bit of creativity and time to make a headboard, turning it from ordinary to spectacular.
Save money with a do it yourself headboard – all that is needed is some basic skills and tools. Cheap plywood is good enough for an upholstered headboard since it will never be seen.
Design a headboard
Trace the desired shape on the wood and cut with a jigsaw. Wrap with upholstery grade foam that is cut to fit. A layer of batting is next. Then stretch the material you have chosen over the now padded head board and secure it on the back with a staple gun.
Homemade fabric headboard designs
Slipcovered headboards are a straightforward diy project for those who enjoy sewing. Measure both the headboard and footboard and add 1-2 inches for a seam allowance on all four sides.
Cut material and fold in half then stitch up the sides. Attach ties or Velcro at the bottom to fasten the cover. If necessary you can wrap the headboard with foam batting before covering for an extra comfortable back rest.
Ribbons, lace, velvet, satin and tapestries can all be used to create a unique look. Use your imagination – from romantic French country and Tuscan to contemporary European or southwestern decorating ideas.
For the children try fabric in bright red, yellow or blue - primary colors that stand out. For toddlers dinomax, lady bugs, a ballerina or fairy princesses will be popular. Sports enthusiasts will love baseball, basketball and soccer. Build up a theme starting with a homemade headboard slipcover.
Easy headboard plans
For those with less skill or time a headboard kit provides a complete, ready-to-cover headboard design with pre-molded foam, hardware and illustrated instructions. Kits come for twin, full, queen and king beds as well as for custom sizes.
Homemade wooden headboard ideas
Preassembled picket fencing can be trimmed and painted for a fun picket fence headboard. For stability, make sure the frame is anchored to the wall instead of the bed.
To create interest above the bed, look for an old door toppers or fireplace mantel to mount on the wall. Use anchor bolts and screws to hang it where you won’t bump your head.
Free info on how to make a headboard.
Most Recent Articles
- Aug 30, 2018 How to Choose a Lift Chair for Your Bedroom by Daniel Fisher
- Jul 31, 2018 How to Make Your Bedroom a Calming Oasis by Guest
- Apr 25, 2018 How a Leather Sofa Redefines your Home? by Ravi Jain
- Dec 20, 2017 7 Reasons Why You Need to Change your Mattress by Guest
- Sep 22, 2017 8 Tips to Arrange Furniture in Your Living Room For Conversation by Rubby William