Is it Safe to Use the Self-Cleaning Oven Feature?
by Guest on Oct 14, 2020
Who wouldn’t want to have a mess cleaned up with the push of a button? That’s certainly the appeal of the self-cleaning oven feature. However, it may not be safe to use the self-cleaning oven option. This time-saver could result in time (and money) wasted.
We’ll give you a rundown on how the self-cleaning feature works and how it can have serious repercussions for your oven. We’ll also provide you with an alternative cleaning method that’s easy and safe. But, first, it’s important to know that self-cleaning oven dangers can affect you too.
How Does the Self-Clean Feature Work?
The self-clean feature on an oven works by using extremely high temperatures to disintegrate food particles, grime, and grease that accumulate in your oven. Be aware that these are not your typical cooking temperatures; the self-cleaning feature operates anywhere from 800 to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit.
If it sounds like it may not be safe to use the self-cleaning oven at these temperatures, you’re right. This extreme heat can cause damage to vital oven parts.
Self-Cleaning Oven Warning
We often hear, “Are self-cleaning oven fumes toxic?” They can be.
The high temperatures used during the self-cleaning feature could have negative effects on your oven too. When exposed to such high heat, multiple oven systems could fail, possibly necessitating a professional repair.
Some common failures we see after the self-clean feature is used include:
- Control pad not working: the computer mechanism could malfunction, rendering your oven unresponsive to commands
- Blown Thermal fuses: these are responsible for regulating oven cooking temperatures and could pop, resulting in under or overcooking of food
- Melted Wiring: though typically encased in a heatproof coating, that coating could melt away, resulting in the destruction of the oven’s wires
- Broken Heating Element: these have been known to snap or malfunction with repeated exposure to high heat
If you do decide that’s it’s safe to use the self-cleaning oven feature once in a while, we strongly recommend that you never do so before a holiday or important event. The risk of an oven breakdown is too high and the possibility of it not being repaired in time is too great to jeopardize your special meal.
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 260
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 238
- Real Estate / Finance — 191
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 183
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 147
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 142
- Improvements / Remodeling — 131
- Plumbing / Basements — 116
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 114
- Doors / Garages — 112
- Safety / Security — 112