- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 206
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 200
- Appliance / Repair — 156
- Interior Design / Decor — 143
- Real Estate / Finance — 110
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 104
- Doors / Garages — 97
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 91
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 84
- Plumbing / Basements — 77
- Construction / Materials — 76
- Safety / Security — 75
Removing Ink Stains from Floors
by Michigan State University on Apr 27, 2012
Rub with a cloth dampened in warm water and detergent. If the floor is not hard-surfaced, use a commercial ink remover and follow the instructions on the package.
Cautions: When working with any chemicals, carefully read and follow the label directions for using that chemical, especially any cautions on safe use! With solvents, be very careful to have ventilation, and no flame or spark in area!
The first time you use any procedure on any floor, test it first on an out-of-the-way part of the floor to be sure it does not damage the flooring or finish.
Notes: If steel wool is suggested, use fine grade, 000 grade.
Scouring powder will help remove many stains, but can also permanently scratch the floor. If you decide to use it, use only a mild type, and be very careful about rubbing too much.
Concentrated liquid commercial household cleaners, rubbed onto a stubborn spot, may remove it as well as scouring powders without the danger of scratching. Rinse off well. Do not use on wood floors.
Do not use water solutions, or cleaners which have to be rinsed off with water, on wood floors. Use a solvent or solvent-based cleaning wax.
After removing a stain, rinse the area thoroughly, dry completely, and, if floor finish has been removed in that area, recoat with appropriate finish or wax.
This article was written by Anne Field, Extension Specialist, Emeritus with references from the Floor Maintenance Manual, Chemical Specialties Manufacturers Association Inc.
Most Recent Articles
- Nov 17, 2018 Cost of Floor Waxing Services by John Thomas
- Sep 26, 2018 How to Self Levelling a Concrete Floor: Compounds & Techniques by Sally Smith
- Jul 9, 2018 7 Tips for Choosing the Right Bathroom Tiles by Rohit
- Apr 30, 2018 How to Clean and Maintain Hardwood Floors by newsy siso
- Jan 5, 2018 The Carpet Cleaning Guide to Dry Wet Carpets by Cliff Brimmer