- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 197
- Garden / Landscaping — 176
- Appliance / Repair — 152
- Interior Design / Decor — 142
- Real Estate / Finance — 104
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 100
- Doors / Garages — 88
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 80
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 71
- Plumbing / Basements — 69
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 68
- Construction / Materials — 66
Removing Urine Stains from Floors
by Michigan State University on Apr 28, 2012
Chances are your dog didn't make it outside, your child didn't make it all the way to the bathroom or you inherited a home with preexisting conditions. Whatever your circumstance, removing urine stains from a wood floor is no easy task. Here are some idea for long-term removal of urine smells and stains.
Rub with a hot, damp cloth and scouring powder. For old stubborn stains, use a 10 to 1 dilution of liquid bleach. Rinse well with clean water.
Cautions: When working with any chemicals, carefully read and follow the label directions for using that chemical, especially any cautions on safe use! With solvents, be very careful to have ventilation, and no flame or spark in area!
The first time you use any procedure on any floor, test it first on an out-of-the-way part of the floor to be sure it does not damage the flooring or finish.
Notes: If steel wool is suggested, use fine grade, 000 grade.
Scouring powder will help remove many stains, but can also permanently scratch the floor. If you decide to use it, use a mild type, and be very careful about rubbing too much.
Concentrated liquid commercial household cleaners, rubbed onto a stubborn spot, may remove it as well as scouring powders without the danger of scratching. Rinse off well. Do not use on wood floors.
Do not use water solutions, or cleaners which have to be rinsed off with water, on wood floors. Use a solvent or solvent-based cleaning wax.
After removing a stain, rinse the area thoroughly, dry completely, and, if floor finish has been removed in that area, recoat with appropriate finish or wax.
Most Recent Articles
- Jan 5, 2018 The Carpet Cleaning Guide to Dry Wet Carpets by Cliff Brimmer
- Nov 2, 2017 Roomba 780 Review by Andy Harrison
- Aug 28, 2017 How to Take Care of Wood Flooring by Boris Dzhingarov
- Aug 25, 2017 Spice up Your Drab Room with Area Rugs by Kevin Williams
- Jul 31, 2017 How Can You Keep the Tile-Flooring Clean and Shining? by Guest