5 Reasons Heavy Duty Construction Equipment Should be Part of Every Household
by Guest Post on Jun 20, 2019
There’s an interesting sight to behold in our neighborhood: a wall kept together by ropes and cables.
No, this isn’t a ramshackle neighborhood. It’s simply set in an area with very sandy soil. Repairing boundary walls is a regular occurrence for most homeowners as the earth shifts slightly from time to time. But the wall kept intact with ratchet tie-down straps is definitely an original approach to preventing everything from collapsing.
While it’s not certain whether this is simply a temporary solution until a building contractor can solve the problem, it does make one think: what other everyday challenges can be solved if you simply keep the right equipment on hand?
Stocking your home with a few heavy-duty items or construction equipment could save the day. Here are a few items you may want to add to your shopping list.
Ratchet Straps—Be Prepared for Anything
As we mentioned above, ratchet straps can be helpful in unique situations. Their value lies in the fact that the unique webbed design of the straps makes them extremely durable. It will take a lot of tension to break them, so obviously they’re more effective than using a regular rope.
If you’re planning a move and your valuable assets will be on the back of a truck, a ratchet system works. Firstly it keeps items on top of the vehicle and you’ll also benefit because they won’t move around much. Once the ratchet system pins down an object there’s very little chance of it moving so it won’t get damaged due to friction.
Closer to home this system may create safer environments if used to keep a tree house’s ladder in place. See, the applications are endless.
Thermal Imaging—Find Problems All by Yourself
Another item you may not have thought to invest in is a thermal imaging unit. That’s only for firefighters and night hunting, right? Not really.
Thanks to the industry supplying smaller units with affordable price tags a thermal imaging unit or infrared technology can help homeowners with general maintenance:
- Identify warmer areas inside your walls that could show where electrical wiring problems are located. If they overheat the high temperatures will be seen on the device.
- A thermal imaging unit can help with plumbing problems or renovations. Let it show you where pipes are so you know where to open up walls instead of tearing down entire sections.
- Monitor where the warm and cool air circulates inside your home. This can help you gauge how you need to change your air conditioning set up so you spend less on electricity costs. If you realize all the hot air escapes through a certain window, properly insulating it is a simple solution.
The good news is that you can save money in the long run after investing in one of these thermal imaging units, as you won’t always have to hire pros anymore.
Earth Moving Equipment—Help the Neighbourhood
Granted, earth moving equipment calls for a huge once-off investment. But you’ll be surprised how many times you use your excavator, backhoe, or mini tractor once you own one. Remember, they come in different sizes, so don’t think you need space for a commercial-sized unit in your backyard.
This purchase makes sense especially if you live in an area prone to heavy rainfall. Next time mud or debris covers your garden you can move it much quicker.
You can also focus on landscaping your garden exactly the way you want it. Creating fish ponds or replanting trees becomes an effortless task.
The major benefit here is that you won’t have to pay service providers exorbitant amounts of money. You can also offer your help to others in the neighborhood in return for compensation.
Protective Gear—You can Never be Too Safe
Don’t wait until you start buying some of these items before you add protective gear to your cupboards. Having them on hand could just be how you save someone’s life in a dire situation:
- Wear hard hats when you’re cutting or pruning trees. You’ll never know if there’s a dry branch that can break off and hurt someone.
- In almost all DIY projects there’s a chance of something getting in your eye. Protective goggles are non-negotiable.
- Ear protection such as ear muffs can prevent irreparable damage whether you’re working with grinders, hammers, or any other tools.
You’re investing in your health long term. By looking after your body now, you’ll enjoy good health for years to come.
High-End Tools—Enjoy All the Benefits
We hope you’re getting excited about starting to add to your tool shed. But now you’re probably wondering: which brands should you buy?
You can settle for regular tools if you know you won’t use them every day. But know that if you do have the budget to buy high-end tools, they come with many benefits:
- Many power tools are cordless, so you can use them anywhere on the worksite without a power source.
- They’re usually more durable.
- Some are more ergonomically designed and lighter so they’re comfortable to use for long periods of time.
Many will agree that this justifies the higher price tag.
So, what have you been dreaming of a building but your current set of tools won’t help you make it a reality? It’s not always necessary to call in the pros. Investing in some industrial-focused products could save the day when you least expect it.
What else do you think each DIY enthusiast and homeowner should invest in? Please leave comments below.
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 262
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 239
- Real Estate / Finance — 196
- Appliance / Repair — 186
- Interior Design / Decor — 184
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 147
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 144
- Improvements / Remodeling — 131
- Plumbing / Basements — 118
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 115
- Doors / Garages — 113
- Safety / Security — 112