- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 206
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 199
- Appliance / Repair — 154
- Interior Design / Decor — 143
- Real Estate / Finance — 108
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 103
- Doors / Garages — 97
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 91
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 84
- Construction / Materials — 76
- Plumbing / Basements — 75
- Safety / Security — 75
Helpful Hints Homeowners Should Know
by Guest on May 15, 2012
With the cost of real estate and repairs always growing in expense, it is good money savings to practice preventive maintenance that will later as you avoid costly repairs! This article was prepared to minimize your house upkeep costs and maintains the value of the property with preventive maintenance before repair costs escalate.
How to shut off the water to your home
Locate the water meter and turn the valve handle clockwise. The water meter is gold in color and has a flap type lid which closes over the dial gauge in most cases. Turn a faucet on and off to see the gauge move to identify this is the right meter.
How to shut off your water heater
Turn the gas control valve to off. Turn the valve on the cold side (water feeding side) clockwise until it stops.
What to do if you smell gas
Leave the home immediately, move slowly, do not turn on or off any light switches or any other item which may create a spark.
Inspect roofs for future leaks
If a roof is more than 12 years old, get it professionally inspected. A homeowner should avoid climbing on the roof due to the risk of falling or creating damage. Consider using binoculars instead to check for broken shingles. To avoid leaks, make sure that flashings are intact and not getting flaky or deteriorated.
What to do if the faucet breaks or the water to it won't shut off
Locate you water meter in the basement, turn the valve clockwise until it stops. If it has a level handle, turn it clockwise a 1/4 turn. Don't ever force a valve. Your water heater can be identified by its gold color, with a flap type lid over the gauges. You should see the needle in the meter turning if the water is running.
How to flush the sediment from the water heater
Connect a hose to the boiler drain valve at the base of the water heater. Run the other end of the hose to a drain and turn the boiler drain valve counter clockwise. Let run for about 10 minutes. Turn the drain valve clockwise and disconnect the hose.
Most Recent Articles
- Nov 11, 2018 Some Basic Home Repairs by Jane Brown
- Aug 18, 2018 How to Know if Mold Is In Your Walls by Neal Julie
- Jul 13, 2018 Four Biggest TV Reception Problems That are Best Left to Antenna Specialists by Guest
- May 10, 2018 Add a Deck to Your Commercial Location to Increase its Value by Iwan Gunawan
- Apr 13, 2018 How You Can Save the Environment by Taking Care of Your Home by Alex Schnee