Sample Simple Improvement Contract so Contractors Do NOT Take Advantage
by 411 on Mar 14, 2013
When hiring a contractor to do minor updates to custom home building, it's very important to know what you are getting for the price. To be on a safe side, you must have all your queries answered. Questions regarding cost, liability, insurance, and time should be answered clearly in your quote so that there is no problem in the end.
Contract Agreement for
411 Sample Street
Your City, CA 95111 408 555 1881
Total Price of Contract $ 1000.00
(includes materials, labor & Specified paint as described below in detail.)
Contractor's License # xxxxxx
Bonding and Insurance Information: (remember to verify)
Start Date: Saturday October 3rd @ 7 a.m.
- Total Fees Due is: US$ 500.00, check made payable to Contracting Firm
Approval: Before October 3rd at 11 a.m., an approval of color and sheen is required.
- Upon completion, please initial here for acceptance: Your Name (___)
- The exact date: October 7th @ 5 p.m.
- Upon completion, please initial here for final acceptance: Your Name (___) Contractor (___)
- Total Fees Due is: US$ 500.00, check made payable to Contracting Firm
- 411 Another Sample Street - Exterior painted on 10/98. Contact: Linda @ (408) 555 1881
- 211 Sample Street - Interior painted on 9/98. Contact: Susan @ (408) 555 8118
- Every effort will be made to work schedules accordingly for both parties. Ultimately access to the house is needed to make the completion date.
- To ensure safety, electricity will be turned off during the removal or installation of any fixtures that have electricity. The time will be as brief as possible.
- Weather will NOT play a factor in painting delays.
Description of Contact Arrangements:
- Internal painting only.
- Rooms to be painted will be the dining room, all bedrooms. living rooms, stairway, hallway, and entryway.
- Painting includes high ceiling walls in the living room and stairway.
- Closets are not to be painted.
- Doors are to be removed painted and replaced on hinges.
Degree of Quality:
- Ceilings: not painted
- Walls: single color, spray, and paintbrush, high-quality work.
- Primer: Single coat of seal darker areas, BIN 1-2-3 Primer will be used.
- Paint: Up to 2 coats of Ralph Lauren paint.
- Sheen: Initial request is satin.
- Texture: Will remain the same.
- Supplies: All paint and tools will be included in the contract price of the above terms.
- Fixtures: All lighting and outlet fixtures are to be removed or loosen and reinstalled for higher quality painting results. Outlet and light fixture plates will be removed and reinstalled. Outlets and Switch NOT to be painted. Vent covers are not to be painted.
- Baseboards: Baseboards are to be painted the same color and sheen of walls and doors.
- Patching: Minor holes in walls will be patched.
- Labor: Contracting Firm - Project Manager & Assistant
- Storage: Any related tools and paint may be stored upstairs and/or in the garage until completion.
- Building permits: None required for painting and minor maintenance.
- Clean up: Will include the removal of paint cans, material, paint tape removal & general clean up and removal of used tools.
- Request for unused material: List materials you wish to be saved: ____________________________
- Removal of debris: All debris created from contracted work will be removed before final acceptance. The paint will be disposed of following California State Law Hazardous Materials.
- Paint and other materials are subject to warranties under their conditions/manufacture. Labor is guaranteed for 60 days after acceptance.
Exceptions/Change Order Request:
- Changes require an agreement by both parties in writing. This potentially could delay the completion date.
Recommendations (not included in the contract price and is not scheduled to be done):
- Electrical outlet replacement to new cream color quotes $2.50 per outlet.
- New outlet cover and light switch cover replacement, $1 each.
Three Places to Spend Money on the Exterior of Your Home
When you have the exterior of your home remodeled, you are investing, time, energy and convenience into the project and you want to make sure that...
When to Use a Brush, Roller or Sponge Brush
Brushes are a good choice for painting trim and woodwork. They are also useful for cutting in the edges around the top and bottom edges and corners...
Homemade Headboards-Make an Upholstered or Wooden Headboard
Homemade headboards can add a lot of personality to any bedroom. They can be coordinated with existing furniture and room decor or they can be the...
Creating a Cottage Kitchen with Bead Board
Kitchen decor can range from modern and bold to elegant and elaborate by using strategic kitchen pieces. One of the most popular decorating trends...
Gas Fireplace Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
Follow these steps for diagnosing and troubleshooting Gas Fireplaces repairs. For the average DIYer, this may seem intimidating, depending on the...
An All-Inclusive Guide to Eco-Friendly Interior Design: 5 Ways to Do It Best
Over 100 countries have enforced policies on sustainable consumption and production according to the 2018 UN Sustainable Development Goals Report....
on May 3, 2023
Unique Ways to Clean Your Window Tracks
As we get closer to springtime you might be noticing that your windows need a good cleaning. Not only is it your windows, but it is the window...
on Apr 3, 2023
Navigating Singapore's Property Regulations: A Guide for Foreign Investors
Singapores property market has been attracting foreign investors for many years, thanks to its stable economy, strong legal system, and transparent...
on Mar 22, 2023
What Truck Size Do I Need to Move a 3-Bedroom House
Moving to a new home can be a complex and stressful process, but with the help of the right truck size, you can make it a smooth and seamless...
on Feb 13, 2023
Five Tips to Take Better Care of Your Basement Insulation
Basement waterproofing is an essential part of home maintenance, as it helps to protect the basement from moisture, flooding, and other...
on Feb 12, 2023
What Type of Licensed Contractor Should You Hire?
on Feb 28, 2017
Hire Contractors / Estimates
Looking for a specialty project? There are many types of contractors available for your home improvement needs. Finding the right type of...
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 260
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 239
- Real Estate / Finance — 195
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 184
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 147
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 144
- Improvements / Remodeling — 131
- Plumbing / Basements — 118
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 115
- Doors / Garages — 113
- Safety / Security — 112
More DIY Articles
Home Asbestos Exposure: A Modern Menace or Just a Threat of the Past
Most people believe that asbestos is a thing of the past, but that’s not true. It’s used in many consumer products, from brake pads to...
Why Tourist Destinations Real Estate is Popular with Investors
A lot more people seem to be heading to tourist destinations these days and it is not always just to visit the famous tourist destinations, they...
Choosing q Highly Experienced and Qualified Locksmith Company
Every single person in the world needs to know what locksmith company to contact in the event a problem appears. Taking all options into account is...
Save Money on Air Conditioning Repairs
There is nothing like coming inside after a day out in the hot summer sun and being able to relax and cool off in an air-conditioned house. ...
My Top Techniques to Get Organised in the Kitchen
When I graduated from university, I decided to become a better cook. I know that one day I will have a family of my own to feed, and I’d prefer my...