- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 223
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 213
- Appliance / Repair — 175
- Interior Design / Decor — 154
- Real Estate / Finance — 143
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 108
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 106
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 104
- Doors / Garages — 102
- Improvements / Remodeling — 95
- Construction / Materials — 94
- Plumbing / Basements — 94
How to Seal Chimney Flashing
by Insidespaces on May 7, 2012
Old houses often develop cracks between the chimney and the roof is a perpetual maintenance issue and should be checked every few years. Here's a list of items you will need to seal chimney flashing to protect your home from chimney leaks.
The first step is to access the roof using an extension ladder, preferably on a warm day. If you are using roof cement, I recommend using the tube package which fits your caulking gun. The gun only requires one hand, whereas the roof cement in a can requires two hands, to hold the cement and a trowel. The cement in a can may be less expensive, but we would recommend against this, especially on a tin roof like this one.
First examine the area between the brick and the roofing, looking for small cracks, separations, and loose areas. These are caused in part by the deterioration of the old cement and the different thermal expansion properties of the chimney and the roof.
Using the caulking gun, force ample amounts of roof cement into the cracks. Apply a liberal amount in all areas.
On the vertical areas, it may be necessary to smooth the excess cement using a trowel.
After the chimney is sealed, look to the plumbing vents and don't overlook the stack of the flue
Most Recent Articles
- Mar 1, 2020 Two Money Saving Techniques to Consider Your Next Exterior Remodeling Project by Justin Grant
- Nov 8, 2019 Advantages and Disadvantages of Green Roofing by David Wells
- Sep 20, 2019 New Roofing Recommendations for Your Roof and Roofers by Darren Smith
- Sep 13, 2019 How Heat Can Damage Your Roof by Karolis Miskinis
- Aug 27, 2019 5 Essential Roof Maintenance Tips You Need To Know by Guest