- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 208
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 208
- Appliance / Repair — 158
- Interior Design / Decor — 146
- Real Estate / Finance — 121
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 105
- Doors / Garages — 97
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 92
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 89
- Safety / Security — 82
- Construction / Materials — 81
- Plumbing / Basements — 80
How to Seal Chimney Flashing
by Insidespaces on May 7, 2012
Old houses often develop cracks between the chimney and the roof is a perpetual maintenance issue and should be checked every few years. Here's a list of items you will need to seal chimney flashing to protect your home from chimney leaks.
The first step is to access the roof using an extension ladder, preferably on a warm day. If you are using roof cement, I recommend using the tube package which fits your caulking gun. The gun only requires one hand, whereas the roof cement in a can requires two hand, to hold the cement and a trowel. The cement in a can may be less expensive, but we would recommend against this, especially on a tin roof like this one.
First examine the area between the brick and the roofing, looking for small cracks, separations and loose areas. These are caused in part by deterioration of the old cement and the different thermal expansion properties of the chimney and the roof.
Using the caulking gun, force ample amounts roof cement into the cracks. Apply a liberal amount in all areas.
On the vertical areas it may be necessary to smooth the excess cement using a trowel.
After the chimney is sealed, look to the plumbing vents and don't overlook the stack of the flue
Sumitted by: Insidespaces.com
Most Recent Articles
- May 9, 2019 How Do I Prepare for a Roofing Job by Valerie Muscat
- May 1, 2019 Building and Renovating: How to Choose Roof Colours and Materials by Sally Smith
- Apr 3, 2019 4 Tips to Help Homeowners Choose the Reputable Roofing Contractor by Anees Saddiq
- Feb 26, 2019 How Roofing Companies and Electricians Work to Ensure a Safer Home by Thierry Vaillancourt
- Oct 28, 2018 How to Replace Asphalt Shingles on Your Home by Valerie Muscat