Garage Door Security – Tips to Keep Your Home Safe From Burglars
by Guest on Jun 8, 2018
For thieves and burglars, the easiest access to a home is the garage. Security companies always ask homeowners to secure the garage whether they are at home or not. When a burglar gains access to your garage they can often access the main home too leading to a serious security threat. A garage door with extra security is the key and many agree that roller garage doors with remote access are one of the best security doors that money can buy for your garage because many of the physical locks are weak and can be easily breached. Even with the best security you may get burgled but this would be mostly due to human error, below are a few tips to keep your home safe from burglars.
- The most common mistake that a person can do is to keep the garage door remote in your car. If a burglar comes across the garage door remote he will steal it and it means that he can get into your house anytime. Keep your garage door remote with your car key, if possible in the same key chain so that you carry it with you rather than leave it in the car.
- The door between your house and garage is the main access for a burglar once he is inside your garage. So keep the door locked. Invest in some safety gadgets to secure the door and this way the burglar may get access to the garage but he will not be able to get in easily to your home.
- One of the main reasons why many houses get burgled is since the garage doors were open. Even with roller doors that use automation to open and close, people feel that they do not need to close the garage. In this day and age, nothing is safe, even if you are staying in a relatively safe area. Burglars love to burgle places that are considered safe as the level of security in such places tends to be lax and wanting.
- Most people have peepholes on their main doors; well they should install one on the door that connects their garage. With a peephole, you will be able to peep into the garage if you hear sounds or scrapes emerging from it. You need not put yourself in harm’s way when you go to investigate, you can just peep.
- Do not install a garage door with windows. Burglars when casing houses tend to look in through the garage windows; do not allow them to do that.
- Keep your garage door well maintained. Ensure that the roller, the hinges, etc are in good working condition and make a tight and secure seal when closed.
- Last but not least make sure that the door that connects the garage is as sturdy as your main door. Do not think that a light door would be enough, burglars can easily break them. Strong wooden or steel doors with their own door locks will not be easily broken.
Three Places to Spend Money on the Exterior of Your Home
When you have the exterior of your home remodeled, you are investing, time, energy and convenience into the project and you want to make sure that...
When to Use a Brush, Roller or Sponge Brush
Brushes are a good choice for painting trim and woodwork. They are also useful for cutting in the edges around the top and bottom edges and corners...
Homemade Headboards-Make an Upholstered or Wooden Headboard
Homemade headboards can add a lot of personality to any bedroom. They can be coordinated with existing furniture and room decor or they can be the...
Creating a Cottage Kitchen with Bead Board
Kitchen decor can range from modern and bold to elegant and elaborate by using strategic kitchen pieces. One of the most popular decorating trends...
Gas Fireplace Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
Follow these steps for diagnosing and troubleshooting Gas Fireplaces repairs. For the average DIYer, this may seem intimidating, depending on the...
Navigating Singapore's Property Regulations: A Guide for Foreign Investors
Singapores property market has been attracting foreign investors for many years, thanks to its stable economy, strong legal system, and transparent...
on Mar 22, 2023
What Truck Size Do I Need to Move a 3-Bedroom House
Moving to a new home can be a complex and stressful process, but with the help of the right truck size, you can make it a smooth and seamless...
on Feb 13, 2023
Five Tips to Take Better Care of Your Basement Insulation
Basement waterproofing is an essential part of home maintenance, as it helps to protect the basement from moisture, flooding, and other...
on Feb 12, 2023
Homeowner In The UK? Here's Why You Need to Know about Rainwater Drainage Systems
In the United Kingdom, there is an average of around 1,200 millimeters of rainfall annually. Keeping rainwater out of your home and away from your...
on Feb 2, 2023
What are the Advantages of a Metal Roof
Metal roofing is durable and beautiful, allowing a home to stand out from others with conventional tiled roofs. A metal coating can last a...
on Feb 1, 2023
What Type of Licensed Contractor Should You Hire?
on Feb 28, 2017
Hire Contractors / Estimates
Looking for a specialty project? There are many types of contractors available for your home improvement needs. Finding the right type of...
Real Estate Investment for the Next Generation
on Oct 18, 2022
Real Estate / Finance
Investing in real estate is something that people have been doing for a long time. Most people invest in a home, so they can stay at the home. This...
Real Estate Investment for Future Generations
on Mar 14, 2022
Real Estate / Finance
Purchasing a home is not simply a financial commitment. It is also an excellent way to start accumulating your wealth. Your home is also a...
Can I Sell My House with a Leaky Roof?
on Oct 28, 2021
Real Estate / Finance
The answer to this query is YES. It is possible to sell a house with a leaking roof, but it's always essential to evaluate some factors before...
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 260
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 239
- Real Estate / Finance — 195
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 183
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 147
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 143
- Improvements / Remodeling — 131
- Plumbing / Basements — 118
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 115
- Doors / Garages — 113
- Safety / Security — 112
More DIY Articles
What are the Benefits of Garage Flooring?
As people upgrade their homes or complete home projects, they are always looking for something else to improve. The latest trend is to spruce up...
10 Amazing Benefits of LEDs Over Traditional Lighting
While it was downplayed during its initial years, due to an expensive price tag, LED tech has become more affordable than ever. It is no wonder why...
Porcelain Enamel Characteristics and Repair
Porcelain enamel is a specially formulated, highly durable glass permanently fused to metal under extremely high temperatures. The metal may be...
Importance of Home Improvements
Continued home improvements are important because of the impact that they have on the value of your home. Different types of home improvements have...
Zen Decorating Theme Bathroom
If you desire the feel of a meditation garden in your bathroom, then a Zen Decorating theme bathroom is the design specifically for you! The...