Woodworking Safety Part I: Appropriate Woodshop Attire
by Guest on Feb 8, 2011
In addition to using caution and common sense when operating power tools, woodworkers should always be dressed for safety and wear the necessary protective gear in the woodshop. Wearing appropriate attire and safety gear can help prevent accidents and injuries. Here are a few tips to keep in mind to promote safe attire in the woodshop:
- Avoid loose clothing or hanging jewelry while woodworking. Loose clothing poses unnecessary risk of injury in the woodshop. Loose clothing, long hair or hanging jewelry can become caught in woodworking tools and create a dangerous situation. Clothing worn for woodworking should fit the body snugly and long hair should be tied back at all times in the woodshop. Removing all jewelry prior to using woodworking tools is also advised.
- Wear safety glasses. Protective eyewear is one of the most important pieces of safety equipment to wear in a woodshop. Safety glasses are designed to protect the eyes from the abundant dust and flying debris generated in the shop. There are several types of safety glasses, so be sure to select the type appropriate for a woodshop environment.
- Protect your hearing. Exposure to a loud environment for extended periods of time can cause permanent hearing damage. Hearing protection such as ear plugs or earmuffs are recommended when using certain woodworking tools. For more information on hearing protection, check out Is Hearing Protection Necessary when Operating Power Tools?
Having the appropriate safety gear on hand in the woodshop will make for a safer work environment. Here are a few safety items to consider keeping on hand:
- Safety goggles
- Hearing protection (ear plugs and/or earmuffs)
- Work gloves
- Dust masks
- Hard hats
In Part II of this series, we will cover other essential supplies to have on hand to promote woodshop safety.
About the Author: Maria Polidoro is the Founder of Ace Tool Online. Ace Tool is an authorized distributor for virtually all major power tool manufacturers and a provider of Occidental leather products. Please visit Ace Tool Online to find the right Occidental tool belt or electrician tool pouch for your
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 258
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 233
- Real Estate / Finance — 190
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 181
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 145
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 138
- Improvements / Remodeling — 131
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 114
- Plumbing / Basements — 114
- Doors / Garages — 112
- Safety / Security — 112