- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 247
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 233
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 180
- Real Estate / Finance — 177
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 143
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 136
- Improvements / Remodeling — 124
- Doors / Garages — 111
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 111
- Plumbing / Basements — 110
- Safety / Security — 108
Home Office Lighting
by charlotte klassa on Jun 5, 2018
When remodeling or simply installing new lighting, it is worth it to think strategically. We want to live in well-lighted spaces (this isn't the 70's!). It boosts our mood and causes less strain on the eyes. Studies have shown that it can actually boost motivation as well.
I was recently remodeling my home office, and let me tell you - the research is spot on. We have a toddler who graduated to his own room. This meant that my old home office suddenly became home to steam engine wallpaper and a vast collection of trucks. I had to move. But where? We never really used the pantry, and I decided that this would be a perfect space for my creative cave. The pantry did not have any windows, and the dim light provided by one lonely light bulb attached to the wall reminded me of a perfect setting to read a ghost story. This would never do
I began reading all sorts of articles on proper workplace lighting and a few things caught my eye:
Natural light can affect your mood and therefore your productivity.
Natural light is between 4200 and 6500 Kelvins
I could actually get light bulbs that were between 4200 and 6500 Kelvins. Whew
Exposure to natural light improves workplace performance. Our bodies crave natural light and having natural sunlight in the workplace positively affects our circadian rhythms and helps us sleep later on, when we should be sleeping
- Fluorescent lighting is especially bad (didn’t we all just know this?). It causes strain on the eyes and can actually cause side effects like migraines and depression.
I breathed a sigh of relief. I was beginning to think that my little pantry office would never happen. I recommend these lights not only in your home office (or your office) but also in your bedroom and kitchen, where you spend a lot of time. Your eyes will thank you. These days, there are more options for LED lighting than ever before. You can even get light bulbs that you can control with your smartphone, and change that performance improving lighting to mood lighting. There are many to choose from and can be ordered online from lighting stores and boutiques. I chose to replace all the lightbulbs in my house. What started in my office quickly spread out into my kitchen, livingroom and bedroom. And if it's any proof - I do sleep better at night.
Most Recent Articles
- Feb 15, 2021 Benefits of Electrical Test and Tag by Guest
- Jan 23, 2020 Skylight Maintenance - Diagnosis and Repair Tips by Valerie Muscat
- Jan 30, 2019 How Do Smart Meters Work? by Guest
- Jan 3, 2019 10 Amazing Benefits of LEDs Over Traditional Lighting by Rohit
- Dec 19, 2018 How to Install LED Aluminum Profiles by Guest