Roofing Styles and Designs: So Many Options
by Martin Gracewell on Apr 25, 2017
If you’re building a new home and are just in the early planning stages, you may want to give some extra thought to the type of roof you want to put on your home. Saying “type of roof” may be a bit misleading, however, because in this case, you’ll be choosing from two main types: gabled or hipped. From there, you may want to focus on the details of design as well as the variety of shapes under the two major categories.
You may not realize that you can have the exact roofing design you want for your home or business and stay within your budget. A gabled roof is generally defined by two straight lines that meet and slope to a lower eave. The appearance is that of a peak or triangle shape. Hipped roofs have roof planes that are “broken” along the slope, which allows for a look that wraps around the structure.
Why Different Shapes?
Shapes in roofing serve at least two purposes: function and appearance.
1. Gable roof - adequate slope helps rain, snow, and leaves fall into the gutters or onto the ground.
2. Hipped roofs - suitable for most weather conditions, including added strength in strong winds.
3. Flat roof - useable space for AC units, solar panels, or even a rooftop garden. This type included a reduced cost, along with the ease of construction and maintenance.
4. Tudor style - gets its name from a royal family. This style often has a specific number of gables and dormers.
5. Mansard-style roof - uniquely French, a combination of designs.
6. Dutch Colonial-style - steeply sloped roof that covers most of the second floor of a home.
7. Ranch style - mild slope; the roof is less noticeable.
8. Tile - primary material for deflecting the sun’s heat that also provides a unique appearance.
9. Composite roofing - a newer option to define the roof with the material used and color.
10. Traditional roof lines with wood shingles - usually used for a unique look.
Many Other Designs
If you’re searching for experienced flat roofers or professionals who can work with you on a variety of roof styles, you can learn more by visiting the website. When you work with one of the top providers in this special field, you have access to maintenance-free flat roofing for commercial applications with a 10-year guarantee.
With three major groups in mind, you may also want to think about some of the specific designs available. This could be good information to have if you happen to get in touch with a roofing company that wants to know more about the shape and style you’re interested in. When you browse the website, be sure to read the testimonials of both past and current customers.
You’ll find that these valued customers benefited from quality services such as professional upgrades of old leaking roofs, garage extensions completed without inconvenience, and skylight installations with a new roof. Whatever your needs, select quality materials and an experienced contractor. You’ll be glad that you did.
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 260
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 239
- Real Estate / Finance — 193
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 183
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 147
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 143
- Improvements / Remodeling — 131
- Plumbing / Basements — 116
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 115
- Doors / Garages — 113
- Safety / Security — 112