- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 189
- Garden / Landscaping — 171
- Appliance / Repair — 149
- Interior Design / Decor — 134
- Real Estate / Finance — 98
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 96
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 77
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 69
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 64
- Plumbing / Basements — 61
- Safety / Security — 61
- Construction / Materials — 58
Plumbing Repairs Done By You
by Guest on May 14, 2012
You don’t have to be an expert plumber for simple plumbing repairs. Don't waste your money on small leaks when they could be fixed by a simply tightening pipes or replacing a simple o-ring. You will need to learn the components of drains and the basics of plumbing including rubber gaskets, plumbers putty and metal washers. As with any home project, having the correct tools will make your DIY project even easier.
- Shut off hot and cold water valves (if valves don’t hold or there are none close the main water valve for the house and replace or install new valves and make sure they are in the off position)
- Disconnect the water supplies from the faucet
- Disconnect the drain pipe from the strainer by removing the slip nut
- Remove the anchor clips from under the sink. On self- rimming sinks just cut the caulking with a razor knife.
- Lift the sink to remove from counter top
- Place faucet and strainer on new sink and tighten nuts (use plumbers putty on strainer)
- Place flex water supplies on faucet and tighten
- Place a bead of caulking on the counter top and set the sink (for sinks with anchor clips install and tighten from under the counter top.On self- rimming sinks just wipe off the caulking from around the sink) Tip: Use latex caulking for easy clean up!
- Connect flex water supplies to valves and tighten
- Connect drain pipe to strainer with new tailpiece washer and tighten if drain line does not line up with strainer you will have to buy a offset.
- Remove aerator from faucet and make sure the faucet is in the open position.
- Open main water valve if you closed it.
- Open valves under sink and let the water run to clean out the supplies and faucet
- Place aerator on faucet and check for leaks. Material:Sink,strainer,flex-supplies,caulking,plumbers putty (new faucet and valves if needed)-(offset for drain if needed)
Most Recent Articles
- Aug 15, 2017 Everything You Need to Know about Drain Pipe Unblocking by Martin Gracewell
- Aug 7, 2017 How to Extend the Life of your Septic System by Richard Vann
- Jul 26, 2017 6 Easy Steps To Drain a Hot Water Heater by Gerald Johnson
- Jul 18, 2017 How to Install A Water Heater Timer by Dave Madison
- Jul 13, 2017 Why it is important to undertake a CCTV Drain Survey when buying a new home? by Rick Hill