How to Restore the Grout between the Tiles
by Guest on Jan 13, 2010
We all try to find cost-effective and unique ways to breathe new life into our homes, by doing simple updates one task at a time. This particular do-it-yourself project is for the dull group between your tiles. The tiles on the floor and wall seem to last forever, with a little cleaning and polishing they can look new, except for one thing.
Over time the grout between your tiles starts to fade giving your tile a less attractive appearance. Well here are a few simple steps to revitalize your grout making the floors and walls look brand new, without the back-breaking work of removing old grout and re-grouting your tile floor or wall.
- Purchase a small can of house paint; yes that’s correct house paint. The color of the paint should be the color of the grout, close to it or you can choose to be daring and go with a darker color, giving it a different look. Pick up a pack of small paintbrushes, the type you would use to paint a picture. The paintbrushes shouldn’t be wide since you will be using them to paint the grout line. You will need a sponge and some old rags.
- Clean the floor or wall thoroughly and allow it to completely dry.
- Where ever your starting point is located be consistent, whether you start from the top of a row of tiles or the bottom. Make sure to paint all the way down to the end, before starting a new row. This is will ensure even coverage and no missed spots. Take your time and be cautious of getting any paint on the tile. It’s rather easy to prevent spillage onto the tile, with just a little patience.
- Make sure to have a damp sponge and dry rag nearby, in case you spill paint on tile, don’t allow the paint to dry before cleaning it up. It will be easier to clean up while still wet.
- When you are done allow the paint to dry before walking on it to prevent trash or lint from getting trapped inside the paint. Once it dries you will be pleasantly surprised how rejuvenated your walls or floors look, just from reviving the grout. The rich vibrant colors from the grout will not only give the room a fresh new, updated look, but it will give it a lasting make-over.
Tips: If the grout has any holes or cracks you will need to fill them first. There are grout pens that can be purchased.
Warning: Depending on what type of paint you use, you may want to use a painter's mask, to protect yourself from the smell.
Three Places to Spend Money on the Exterior of Your Home
When you have the exterior of your home remodeled, you are investing, time, energy and convenience into the project and you want to make sure that...
When to Use a Brush, Roller or Sponge Brush
Brushes are a good choice for painting trim and woodwork. They are also useful for cutting in the edges around the top and bottom edges and corners...
Homemade Headboards-Make an Upholstered or Wooden Headboard
Homemade headboards can add a lot of personality to any bedroom. They can be coordinated with existing furniture and room decor or they can be the...
Creating a Cottage Kitchen with Bead Board
Kitchen decor can range from modern and bold to elegant and elaborate by using strategic kitchen pieces. One of the most popular decorating trends...
Gas Fireplace Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
Follow these steps for diagnosing and troubleshooting Gas Fireplaces repairs. For the average DIYer, this may seem intimidating, depending on the...
Navigating Singapore's Property Regulations: A Guide for Foreign Investors
Singapores property market has been attracting foreign investors for many years, thanks to its stable economy, strong legal system, and transparent...
on Mar 22, 2023
What Truck Size Do I Need to Move a 3-Bedroom House
Moving to a new home can be a complex and stressful process, but with the help of the right truck size, you can make it a smooth and seamless...
on Feb 13, 2023
Five Tips to Take Better Care of Your Basement Insulation
Basement waterproofing is an essential part of home maintenance, as it helps to protect the basement from moisture, flooding, and other...
on Feb 12, 2023
Homeowner In The UK? Here's Why You Need to Know about Rainwater Drainage Systems
In the United Kingdom, there is an average of around 1,200 millimeters of rainfall annually. Keeping rainwater out of your home and away from your...
on Feb 2, 2023
What are the Advantages of a Metal Roof
Metal roofing is durable and beautiful, allowing a home to stand out from others with conventional tiled roofs. A metal coating can last a...
on Feb 1, 2023
What Type of Licensed Contractor Should You Hire?
on Feb 28, 2017
Hire Contractors / Estimates
Looking for a specialty project? There are many types of contractors available for your home improvement needs. Finding the right type of...
Real Estate Investment for the Next Generation
on Oct 18, 2022
Real Estate / Finance
Investing in real estate is something that people have been doing for a long time. Most people invest in a home, so they can stay at the home. This...
Real Estate Investment for Future Generations
on Mar 14, 2022
Real Estate / Finance
Purchasing a home is not simply a financial commitment. It is also an excellent way to start accumulating your wealth. Your home is also a...
Can I Sell My House with a Leaky Roof?
on Oct 28, 2021
Real Estate / Finance
The answer to this query is YES. It is possible to sell a house with a leaking roof, but it's always essential to evaluate some factors before...
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 260
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 239
- Real Estate / Finance — 195
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 183
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 147
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 143
- Improvements / Remodeling — 131
- Plumbing / Basements — 118
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 115
- Doors / Garages — 113
- Safety / Security — 112
More DIY Articles
Three Main Benefits of Windows Replacement
When you decide to change something in your home, whether to make the whole house renovation or just renew some of its parts, there is undoubtedly...
How to Avoid Frozen Pipes Problems
Water can freeze in your home pipes because of defective taping, a broken thermostat or insufficient insulation. Even worse, the frozen water can...
Top Ideas to Get Distinct Window Frames
We decorate our homes with elegant kinds of stuff to make them look adorable. From light fittings to kitchen appliances, we want everything perfect...
3 Ways to Spruce Up the Look of Your Wood Floors
It’s time to make those wood floors look new again. However, you won’t have to polish off a lot of dollars to do it, but one does have to employ...
How to Select the Right Mop to Suit Your Requirement
Mops might not be glamorous, but we'd be stuck without them, so it's time to show some respect to this hard-working household tool that is so often...