5 of the Best Home Improvement Ideas
by Shiraz Kahn on Oct 4, 2016
Improving the home is always in the back of everyone’s mind, and the end of the summer is the ideal time to consider making some renovations or adding something attractive to the property. When thinking of home improvements, cost-effectiveness should be a major consideration, and with that in mind
Here are 5 ways to transform the home without having to take out a second mortgage:
- A patio will give you an ideal al fresco dining area, and the right balustrade will offer protection from the elements. Glass and stainless steel are ideal materials for that essential balustrade, as it gives you optimum visibility, and with slim, stainless steel supports, your line of vision will not be impaired, and you can enjoy the garden all year round. For more information, check out the designs on this website, to give you some idea of what can be achieved with the right materials. The right patio doors, awning, and balustrade, and the look is complete, which provides you with an ideal summer entertainment area, ideal for those barbeques and birthday parties.
- Create some unique storage cupboards that utilize space that is otherwise unused. One could always enlist that space under the stairs, with many innovative ideas to reclaim that virgin area that is never used. Custom made cabinets can be crafted into any awkward space, and they add a touch of uniqueness to any room. By finding a place for the many domestic items in the average home, you can make space for extra furniture, and make the living space more comfortable. Any home with a staircase usually has an unoccupied triangular space that could be used, and there are many great ways to do that.
- Exterior window shutters are relatively inexpensive and can transform the character of any property. With a range of materials, designs, and colors, you can create a unique ambiance that will add significant value to your home, while providing excellent screening that gives a balance between seclusion and visibility. Modern shutters offer a high level of adjustment to ensure you have the right amount of light, and with multiple panels, one can also retain one’s privacy.
- If you like to be different, how about installing a lie-down shower? This hi-tech newcomer is equipped with varying shower pressures and temperature control, which makes it a form of massage, as well as a horizontal shower. The main problem with showering has always been one must be standing throughout, and this isn’t easy for the elderly or infirmed. A refreshing experience with adjustable shower heads to give you the ultimate water massage while having a shower at the same time.
- If you resurface the driveway, it will certainly make the residence look more appealing, and with modern concrete solutions, you have a range of colors and textures that give you a long-lasting and very durable surface.
Any home improvement will make the home a nicer place to be, and with the right choices, it will complement the property, while adding value at the same time.
Three Places to Spend Money on the Exterior of Your Home
When you have the exterior of your home remodeled, you are investing, time, energy and convenience into the project and you want to make sure that...
When to Use a Brush, Roller or Sponge Brush
Brushes are a good choice for painting trim and woodwork. They are also useful for cutting in the edges around the top and bottom edges and corners...
Homemade Headboards-Make an Upholstered or Wooden Headboard
Homemade headboards can add a lot of personality to any bedroom. They can be coordinated with existing furniture and room decor or they can be the...
Creating a Cottage Kitchen with Bead Board
Kitchen decor can range from modern and bold to elegant and elaborate by using strategic kitchen pieces. One of the most popular decorating trends...
Gas Fireplace Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
Follow these steps for diagnosing and troubleshooting Gas Fireplaces repairs. For the average DIYer, this may seem intimidating, depending on the...
An All-Inclusive Guide to Eco-Friendly Interior Design: 5 Ways to Do It Best
Over 100 countries have enforced policies on sustainable consumption and production according to the 2018 UN Sustainable Development Goals Report....
on May 3, 2023
Unique Ways to Clean Your Window Tracks
As we get closer to springtime you might be noticing that your windows need a good cleaning. Not only is it your windows, but it is the window...
on Apr 3, 2023
Navigating Singapore's Property Regulations: A Guide for Foreign Investors
Singapores property market has been attracting foreign investors for many years, thanks to its stable economy, strong legal system, and transparent...
on Mar 22, 2023
What Truck Size Do I Need to Move a 3-Bedroom House
Moving to a new home can be a complex and stressful process, but with the help of the right truck size, you can make it a smooth and seamless...
on Feb 13, 2023
Five Tips to Take Better Care of Your Basement Insulation
Basement waterproofing is an essential part of home maintenance, as it helps to protect the basement from moisture, flooding, and other...
on Feb 12, 2023
What Type of Licensed Contractor Should You Hire?
on Feb 28, 2017
Hire Contractors / Estimates
Looking for a specialty project? There are many types of contractors available for your home improvement needs. Finding the right type of...
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 260
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 239
- Real Estate / Finance — 195
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 184
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 147
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 144
- Improvements / Remodeling — 131
- Plumbing / Basements — 118
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 115
- Doors / Garages — 113
- Safety / Security — 112
More DIY Articles
Metal Garage Kits Provide Ideal DIY Structures
Metal garage kits come in a variety of designs, styles and dimensions. The majority of these kits can be assembled with only one or two people....
Tropical Landscaping Ideas for the Homeowner
There are many different types of landscaping styles. Here are some common landscaping ideas in humid weather. These are several reasons why people...
Securing Your Home Following a Break-In
You may wonder what could be worse than someone breaking into your home. It is common to feel violated when an intruder has breached your...
Eco-Friendly House Cleaning Tips
Eco-friendly house cleaning has become something that more people are aware of, as greenhouse gases and global warming begin to affect us all. You...
Clever Window Coverings for a French Door
French doors are elegant additions to any room, but they can be problematic when it comes to finding a window covering. Their unusual window length...