- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 253
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 232
- Appliance / Repair — 186
- Interior Design / Decor — 180
- Real Estate / Finance — 180
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 143
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 136
- Improvements / Remodeling — 128
- Plumbing / Basements — 113
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 111
- Doors / Garages — 110
- Safety / Security — 109
Repairing Holes Through Plaster Walls - 2 Methods
by Michigan State University on May 14, 2012
If there is a large hole through the wall, patching plaster will not stick.
Method 1 Wall Patching
- Mark a rectangle on the wall which includes the hole.
- With a knife or key hole saw cut out the rectangle being careful not to break it.
- On a scrap piece of plaster-board, copy the section of the wall.
- Then mark a frame about 2" wide around the section of wall.
- After cutting, remove the paper on one side and the plaster from the frame around the patch. The 2" frame of paper will stick out like an ear all around which will hold the patch in place.
- Spread patching plaster around the edge of the hold and around the edge of the patch. Put the patch in the hole and press the paper ears into the plaster and hold it while it sets.
- Sand lightly and paint.
Repairing Holes Through Plaster Walls - Method 2
- Cut a piece of metal plaster lath or heavy screen larger than the hole.
- Fasten one or two wire ties to the lath and insert through the hole.
- Pull the lath up behind hole and wire to a stick of wood placed across the hole on the front side of the wall.
- Moisten the edge of the hole and spread a base coat of patching plaster to within 1/8" of the finished surface. Roughen the surface with a stick or nail so the finish coat will stick.
- After the base layer is dry, remove the stick and clip the wires close to the surface.
- Trowel on the finish layer being sure it is flush with the wall surface.
- Let it dry well and then paint.
- If the patched area is large, apply a coat of sizing before painting.
Walls / Ceilings / Attics 4174 Views
Most Recent Articles
- Jun 1, 2021 Do You Want to Replace the Popcorn Ceiling? Explore Stretch Ceiling as a Choice by Guest
- Mar 9, 2021 How Retaining Walls Increase the Value of Your Home by Nick Marr
- Aug 29, 2018 Wallpaper Versus Paint: Which is the Better Choice for Your New Home? by Sam Smith
- Jul 12, 2018 Different Drywall Types and Fire Safety by Dale Johnson
- Aug 11, 2017 How to Repair Small Foundation Cracks by Peter Ruffin