- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 186
- Garden / Landscaping — 169
- Appliance / Repair — 149
- Interior Design / Decor — 131
- Real Estate / Finance — 97
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 95
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 72
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 68
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 61
- Safety / Security — 60
- Construction / Materials — 57
- Windows / Siding — 56
Glass Tile History
by Guest on Aug 4, 2011
Glass tiles have been present in interior design for centuries, from the second century BC. There was a great demand for mosaic art in this period, contributing to an environment where craftsmen experimented with different materials and processes which lead to the innovation of glass tiles. As mosaic art changed, its presence extended from the Mediterranean by the Roman Empire in the more remote places like the United Kingdom and Constantinople in Turkey.
During this period the mosaics were often used in sacred art to describe the religious scenes, as well as geometric temples, and upper class homes. Rarely used alone, but was usually built in the mosaic to add color and detail of the murals.
Mosaics made exclusively with glass tiles are not common before the rise of the Byzantine Empire. These tiles, known as "smalti" usually had a rougher surface and contains air bubbles and spots of gold and silver. Inspired by Greek and Roman artists, these tiles are used to create mosaics cover the walls, ceilings and floors. While artists have produced art, it was most of the work of this period was produced for religious purposes.
Even if the mosaic is still largely in the Middle Ages, the style no longer apply when a popular art form until the Victorian period in 1800. When the industrial age of innovation, tiles, could be produced in a rich. Throughout the twentieth century, Art Nouveau embraced the use of an instrument of art glass. During this period, Tiffany lamps and other stained glass art has become more common.
Most Recent Articles
- May 16, 2017 What Causes Creaky Floorboards? by Guest
- May 10, 2017 The Popularity of Polished Concrete Flooring by Guest
- Mar 27, 2017 12 Top Tips for Tiling a Bathroom by Guest
- Dec 20, 2016 Porcelain Ceramic Tile Is Back in Style by Pavel
- Mar 31, 2016 When to Visit the Flooring Store: Repairing Existing Flooring vs. Installing New by Boris Dzhingarov