- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 204
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 196
- Appliance / Repair — 154
- Interior Design / Decor — 148
- Real Estate / Finance — 113
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 102
- Doors / Garages — 97
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 91
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 81
- Construction / Materials — 75
- Plumbing / Basements — 75
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 74
Do You Really Need an Underlay for Your Carpet?
by Guest on Aug 20, 2012
After spending a good amount of money for your carpet, you may be wondering whether having a cheap underlay for your carpet is important. Maybe you think that an underlay is nothing but an additional expense. Is it worth buying an underlay? You may be surprised that there are many reasons for you to buy a cheap carpet underlay. Here are five of those reasons:
1. Walking in a carpet with an underlay becomes more comfortable than walking without the underlay. You can really feel the comfort you gain from having the underlay below the carpet, especially if you are walking barefoot. Even with shoes, you can still feel the softness brought by the underlay. So if your feet are getting tired with walking on hard surfaces all day long, look for a cheap underlay for your carpet.
2. A cheap carpet underlay serves as a good heat insulator. Usually, one way for heat to get into or get out of the house is through the floor. With an underlay for your carpet, this is less likely to happen. If heat is necessary for your house, the underlay will help in retaining the heat. If heat needs to be kept out of the house, the underlay will prevent heat from getting in. Either way, you save money for cooling or heating.
3. A cheap underlay for your carpet significantly lessens the wear and tear that happens to your carpet over time. Because of friction caused by the people and the heavy materials moving above them, carpets wear off; they lose fibres and they become discoloured. Cheap underlays prevent that from happening because the cushioning that they provide allows carpets to return to their original appearances quickly. Over the years, with an underlay, you will hardly see significant damage to your carpet.
4. A cheap carpet underlay prevents dust from gathering in your home. While you may not notice it, the air lifts dust from our carpets and then deposits the dust on other areas in your home. Carpets have "holes" which allow air to come in the carpets and into the floor below them. The air from the floor then has a chance to gather dust and go up again. Because an underlay is placed between the floor and the carpets, air passing through the carpets and going to the floor will be blocked; its progress will be impeded and the dust particles will settle on the floor.
5. A cheap carpet underlay is a good sound insulator, especially for rooms on the second level of a building or above. A good carpet underlay prevents noise from coming into the room through the floor, so you can effectively ward off noise from the lower levels. Also, a good underlay prevents sound from coming out of the room through the floor, so any music or discussions that you have on your room won't be heard below.
Now that you know the benefits of buying a cheap underlay for your carpet, it is time to look for one. Remember to buy a high-quality underlay that satisfies many of your needs.
Most Recent Articles
- Jul 9, 2018 7 Tips for Choosing the Right Bathroom Tiles by Rohit
- Apr 30, 2018 How to Clean and Maintain Hardwood Floors by newsy siso
- Jan 5, 2018 The Carpet Cleaning Guide to Dry Wet Carpets by Cliff Brimmer
- Nov 2, 2017 Roomba 780 Review by Andy Harrison
- Aug 28, 2017 How to Take Care of Wood Flooring by Boris Dzhingarov