- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 194
- Garden / Landscaping — 174
- Appliance / Repair — 150
- Interior Design / Decor — 139
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 99
- Real Estate / Finance — 99
- Doors / Garages — 87
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 78
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 70
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 67
- Plumbing / Basements — 66
- Construction / Materials — 63
Kitchen Counters: A Materials Overview
by Guest on Feb 27, 2010
Kitchen countertops are available in an almost limitless array of materials and colors. Nothing beats granite for durability, stainless steel for a contemporary, functional look, or tile for timeless charm. Below are some of the more common counter surfaces with their respective advantages and disadvantages.
||Clean with sponge and nonabrasive cleanser.||$10-20 a linear ft.|
||Sponge clean with household cleanser. To maintain glossy finish, avoid overusing harsh abrasives.||$35-80 linear foot depending on tile selection|
Seal with salad oil if used for food preparation; otherwise seal with commercial sealant.
|$40-70 sq. ft.|
|$60+ sq. ft.|
||Clean with sponge and mild cleanser.||$60+ sq. ft.|
|Solid surfacing (i.e., Corian)||
||Clean with mild cleanser.
Minor scratches can be removed by buffing with an abrasive pad.
|$100-150 linear ft.|
||Wipe with sponge and mild cleanser.
Reseal regularly with wax or sealant.
|$200-300 linear ft.|
||Wipe clean with a sponge and cleanser.||Cost depends on fabrication and edge finish. Custom fabrication is $300-500 per linear foot.|
||For unfinished surfaces, use mineral oil weekly. Sand and refinish stains and burns.
For finished surfaces, clean with a damp cloth and a mild cleanser.
|$50+ per linear foot|
Most Recent Articles
- Nov 22, 2017 Timber Products in Wet Environments by Will Baker
- Nov 16, 2017 How to Pick the Right Refrigerator for Your Kitchen by Crikett
- Nov 3, 2017 Make Your Kitchen Beautiful by Following Things by Ikhraaf Qaiser
- Oct 17, 2017 5 Ways to Transform Your Bathroom in to the Perfect Spa by Guest
- Oct 12, 2017 5 Weird Products You need for an Amazing Kitchen by Guest