- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 204
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 196
- Appliance / Repair — 154
- Interior Design / Decor — 148
- Real Estate / Finance — 113
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 102
- Doors / Garages — 97
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 91
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 81
- Construction / Materials — 75
- Plumbing / Basements — 75
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 74
Kitchen Counters: A Materials Overview
by Guest on Feb 27, 2010
Kitchen countertops are available in an almost limitless array of materials and colors. Nothing beats granite for durability, stainless steel for a contemporary, functional look, or tile for timeless charm. Below are some of the more common counter surfaces with their respective advantages and disadvantages.
||Clean with sponge and nonabrasive cleanser.||$10-20 a linear ft.|
||Sponge clean with household cleanser. To maintain glossy finish, avoid overusing harsh abrasives.||$35-80 linear foot depending on tile selection|
Seal with salad oil if used for food preparation; otherwise seal with commercial sealant.
|$40-70 sq. ft.|
|$60+ sq. ft.|
||Clean with sponge and mild cleanser.||$60+ sq. ft.|
|Solid surfacing (i.e., Corian)||
||Clean with mild cleanser.
Minor scratches can be removed by buffing with an abrasive pad.
|$100-150 linear ft.|
||Wipe with sponge and mild cleanser.
Reseal regularly with wax or sealant.
|$200-300 linear ft.|
||Wipe clean with a sponge and cleanser.||Cost depends on fabrication and edge finish. Custom fabrication is $300-500 per linear foot.|
||For unfinished surfaces, use mineral oil weekly. Sand and refinish stains and burns.
For finished surfaces, clean with a damp cloth and a mild cleanser.
|$50+ per linear foot|
Most Recent Articles
- Sep 20, 2018 Seven Things to Get When Remodeling Your Kitchen by Guest
- Aug 27, 2018 5 Common Home Repairs Using a Miter Saw by Valerie Muscat
- Aug 20, 2018 Factors fo Consider Before Buying Bathroom Furniture by Valerie Muscat
- Jul 26, 2018 6 Kitchen Appliances That You Must Have by Rohit
- Jul 17, 2018 5 Things Every Modern Kitchen Needs by Charltote Concrete