- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 208
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 204
- Appliance / Repair — 157
- Interior Design / Decor — 143
- Real Estate / Finance — 114
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 104
- Doors / Garages — 97
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 91
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 86
- Plumbing / Basements — 79
- Construction / Materials — 77
- Improvements / Remodeling — 76
Kitchen Counters: A Materials Overview
by Guest on Feb 27, 2010
Kitchen countertops are available in an almost limitless array of materials and colors. Nothing beats granite for durability, stainless steel for a contemporary, functional look, or tile for timeless charm. Below are some of the more common counter surfaces with their respective advantages and disadvantages.
||Clean with sponge and nonabrasive cleanser.||$10-20 a linear ft.|
||Sponge clean with household cleanser. To maintain glossy finish, avoid overusing harsh abrasives.||$35-80 linear foot depending on tile selection|
Seal with salad oil if used for food preparation; otherwise seal with commercial sealant.
|$40-70 sq. ft.|
|$60+ sq. ft.|
||Clean with sponge and mild cleanser.||$60+ sq. ft.|
|Solid surfacing (i.e., Corian)||
||Clean with mild cleanser.
Minor scratches can be removed by buffing with an abrasive pad.
|$100-150 linear ft.|
||Wipe with sponge and mild cleanser.
Reseal regularly with wax or sealant.
|$200-300 linear ft.|
||Wipe clean with a sponge and cleanser.||Cost depends on fabrication and edge finish. Custom fabrication is $300-500 per linear foot.|
||For unfinished surfaces, use mineral oil weekly. Sand and refinish stains and burns.
For finished surfaces, clean with a damp cloth and a mild cleanser.
|$50+ per linear foot|
Most Recent Articles
- Jan 19, 2019 How the Corner Sink Would Enhance the Design of Your Kitchen? by Guest
- Jan 4, 2019 8 Ways to Create More Space in Your Kitchen and Dining Area by Guest
- Nov 1, 2018 Bring the Best and Most Refreshing Bathtub Home by newsy siso
- Oct 31, 2018 Easy and Budget-friendly House Improvements: Bathroom Woes Be Gone by newsy siso
- Sep 20, 2018 Seven Things to Get When Remodeling Your Kitchen by Guest