Spray Painting - Can You DIY Or Do You Get The Professionals In?
by Guest on Nov 17, 2010
For years spray painting has been considered a specialist job for a decorator, but as the price of hiring specialist professional machines drops it’s time to reconsider which jobs you can do yourself and which require the assistance of a spraying company.
The advantage of spray painting is the sheer speed at which you can do it. A room that would usually take a weekend to paint can be done in less than half the time with a spray painting machine. The same goes for garden fences and exterior walls. Whilst some jobs will always require the work of a specialist (wood spraying, cladding spraying and others) these simple jobs can be easily achieved by anyone with a little bit knowledge and this article intends to give you that knowledge.
So what will you need?
- You are going to need a whole load of dust sheets and protective paper and plastic sheets – along with a couple of rolls of masking tape.
- You will have to get yourself down to the local hire store and hire a professional standard machine
- Go to the local DIY store and get the protective clothing – it can get a little messy.
What’s the plan?
- Familiarise yourself with the machine. How does it turn on and off? How powerful is it? How to I clean it? How do I remove the nozzle?
- Cover up everything – and I mean everything.
- Practice – don’t just jump in, have a practice with the spray gun first on some old wood. It is important to work out how far from the wall or fence you will need to be to avoid drips in the finish.
- Hire a friend – they can help keep the pain topped up for you.
- Tell the family to go out for the day so they don’t get inadvertently covered with spray when trying to offer you a drink!
What do I need to remember?
- Start in the same position all the time, this help you get continuity and not forget where you have been. It will also avoid having heavier areas of paint.
- Use even movements at all times for the best finish.
- Don’t rush.
- Always stand the same distance from the wall for an even finish.
- Apply several thin coats rather than one thick one.
Is that it?
Well, that’s the basics and if you follow those rules you won’t go far wrong – and remember practice makes perfect!
Three Places to Spend Money on the Exterior of Your Home
When you have the exterior of your home remodeled, you are investing, time, energy and convenience into the project and you want to make sure that...
When to Use a Brush, Roller or Sponge Brush
Brushes are a good choice for painting trim and woodwork. They are also useful for cutting in the edges around the top and bottom edges and corners...
Homemade Headboards-Make an Upholstered or Wooden Headboard
Homemade headboards can add a lot of personality to any bedroom. They can be coordinated with existing furniture and room decor or they can be the...
Creating a Cottage Kitchen with Bead Board
Kitchen decor can range from modern and bold to elegant and elaborate by using strategic kitchen pieces. One of the most popular decorating trends...
Gas Fireplace Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
Follow these steps for diagnosing and troubleshooting Gas Fireplaces repairs. For the average DIYer, this may seem intimidating, depending on the...
Navigating Singapore's Property Regulations: A Guide for Foreign Investors
Singapores property market has been attracting foreign investors for many years, thanks to its stable economy, strong legal system, and transparent...
on Mar 22, 2023
What Truck Size Do I Need to Move a 3-Bedroom House
Moving to a new home can be a complex and stressful process, but with the help of the right truck size, you can make it a smooth and seamless...
on Feb 13, 2023
Five Tips to Take Better Care of Your Basement Insulation
Basement waterproofing is an essential part of home maintenance, as it helps to protect the basement from moisture, flooding, and other...
on Feb 12, 2023
Homeowner In The UK? Here's Why You Need to Know about Rainwater Drainage Systems
In the United Kingdom, there is an average of around 1,200 millimeters of rainfall annually. Keeping rainwater out of your home and away from your...
on Feb 2, 2023
What are the Advantages of a Metal Roof
Metal roofing is durable and beautiful, allowing a home to stand out from others with conventional tiled roofs. A metal coating can last a...
on Feb 1, 2023
What Type of Licensed Contractor Should You Hire?
on Feb 28, 2017
Hire Contractors / Estimates
Looking for a specialty project? There are many types of contractors available for your home improvement needs. Finding the right type of...
Real Estate Investment for the Next Generation
on Oct 18, 2022
Real Estate / Finance
Investing in real estate is something that people have been doing for a long time. Most people invest in a home, so they can stay at the home. This...
Real Estate Investment for Future Generations
on Mar 14, 2022
Real Estate / Finance
Purchasing a home is not simply a financial commitment. It is also an excellent way to start accumulating your wealth. Your home is also a...
Can I Sell My House with a Leaky Roof?
on Oct 28, 2021
Real Estate / Finance
The answer to this query is YES. It is possible to sell a house with a leaking roof, but it's always essential to evaluate some factors before...
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 260
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 239
- Real Estate / Finance — 195
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 183
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 147
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 143
- Improvements / Remodeling — 131
- Plumbing / Basements — 118
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 115
- Doors / Garages — 113
- Safety / Security — 112
More DIY Articles
Is It Cheaper to Build Your Own Home?
Thinking of moving home? Have you ever sat and watched Grand Designs and drifted into a dream about building your own pad? Could it actually be...
Things to Consider When Hiring a Plumber
One of the most difficult jobs you can have in your life is as a homeowner. There are a number of things you have to consider when doing this job....
How to Build a Barbecue
An old-fashioned brick barbecue transforms your back garden into an open-air kitchen. Friends and family can enjoy countless hours of fresh air...
Your Children’s Own Personalized Corner with Wall Decals
Ever thought of painting your kids' room in bright and vibrant shades with their favorite cartoon characters printed on the walls? Well, if you...
Common Mistakes You Need to Avoid While Decorating Your Home
With a few basic rules, you can easily create an amazing space. There are certain mistakes most people commit when decorating which must be avoided...