Wallpaper Repair - Repasting, Blisters, Tears, Spots
by Guest on Feb 13, 2020
Damaged wallpaper can be repaired. It's ideal if you have extra wallpaper that matches the pattern for repairs.
- Lift loose wallpaper carefully. It may be necessary to wet with water.
- Spread thin wallpaper paste underneath.
- Smooth down with a clean, damp cloth. Note: For newer plastic-coated papers, ask the wallpaper store for correct paste.
Remove a Blister in Wallpaper:
- Cut across blister with a very sharp razor blade, cut along a line in the pattern.
- Lift edges carefully and spread thin wallpaper paste underneath.
- Smooth down with a clean, damp cloth.
Repair Tears or Holes:
- Tear a patch out of leftover scrap. Torn, irregular edges show less than a smooth cut edge.
- Spread thin wallpaper paste on the back.
- Position patch to match the pattern and smooth down over the hole.
Removing Spots and Stain from Wallpaper
Fingermarks, smudges, pencil marks: Rub gently with an art gum or commercial wallpaper cleaner. On washable paper, wipe with a damp sponge, or sudsy sponge and then damp sponge if needed to remove the mark.
- Hold clean white blotter or several white paper towels over spot and press with warm iron until grease is absorbed by towels.
- If grease still remains, apply a paste spot remover; brush off after it dries to a powder.
- If washable paper--may be able to wipe off with a sudsy sponge, followed by a damp sponge.
For crayon: you have to remove both wax/grease and color:
- If the thick amount left, scrape off excess with table knife.
- Use a warm iron and white paper towel method as under "grease spots".
- For non-washable papers, try paste spot remover as under "grease spots". Or wipe gently with a cloth moistened with denatured alcohol or spot remover; these are flammable and vapors are toxic, so be sure there is no flame, spark, or pilot light in an area, have plenty of ventilation, and use only on small spots.
- For washable papers, use a sudsy sponge after steps 1 and 2. Try not to smear the residue.
Buy washable crayons for children!
Three Places to Spend Money on the Exterior of Your Home
When you have the exterior of your home remodeled, you are investing, time, energy and convenience into the project and you want to make sure that...
When to Use a Brush, Roller or Sponge Brush
Brushes are a good choice for painting trim and woodwork. They are also useful for cutting in the edges around the top and bottom edges and corners...
Homemade Headboards-Make an Upholstered or Wooden Headboard
Homemade headboards can add a lot of personality to any bedroom. They can be coordinated with existing furniture and room decor or they can be the...
Creating a Cottage Kitchen with Bead Board
Kitchen decor can range from modern and bold to elegant and elaborate by using strategic kitchen pieces. One of the most popular decorating trends...
Gas Fireplace Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
Follow these steps for diagnosing and troubleshooting Gas Fireplaces repairs. For the average DIYer, this may seem intimidating, depending on the...
Navigating Singapore's Property Regulations: A Guide for Foreign Investors
Singapores property market has been attracting foreign investors for many years, thanks to its stable economy, strong legal system, and transparent...
on Mar 22, 2023
What Truck Size Do I Need to Move a 3-Bedroom House
Moving to a new home can be a complex and stressful process, but with the help of the right truck size, you can make it a smooth and seamless...
on Feb 13, 2023
Five Tips to Take Better Care of Your Basement Insulation
Basement waterproofing is an essential part of home maintenance, as it helps to protect the basement from moisture, flooding, and other...
on Feb 12, 2023
Homeowner In The UK? Here's Why You Need to Know about Rainwater Drainage Systems
In the United Kingdom, there is an average of around 1,200 millimeters of rainfall annually. Keeping rainwater out of your home and away from your...
on Feb 2, 2023
What are the Advantages of a Metal Roof
Metal roofing is durable and beautiful, allowing a home to stand out from others with conventional tiled roofs. A metal coating can last a...
on Feb 1, 2023
What Type of Licensed Contractor Should You Hire?
on Feb 28, 2017
Hire Contractors / Estimates
Looking for a specialty project? There are many types of contractors available for your home improvement needs. Finding the right type of...
Real Estate Investment for the Next Generation
on Oct 18, 2022
Real Estate / Finance
Investing in real estate is something that people have been doing for a long time. Most people invest in a home, so they can stay at the home. This...
Real Estate Investment for Future Generations
on Mar 14, 2022
Real Estate / Finance
Purchasing a home is not simply a financial commitment. It is also an excellent way to start accumulating your wealth. Your home is also a...
Can I Sell My House with a Leaky Roof?
on Oct 28, 2021
Real Estate / Finance
The answer to this query is YES. It is possible to sell a house with a leaking roof, but it's always essential to evaluate some factors before...
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 260
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 239
- Real Estate / Finance — 195
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 183
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 147
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 143
- Improvements / Remodeling — 131
- Plumbing / Basements — 118
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 115
- Doors / Garages — 113
- Safety / Security — 112
More DIY Articles
Clear Not Cloudy: Hot Tub Shock Treatment Tips
Hot tubs are great for relaxing your muscles, opening up pores, and for enjoying time with friends. That said, they can also become breeding...
Main Benefits of Using Airless Paint Sprayers
It is a well-known fact today that painting large spaces with a brush is torture. This is why today people tend to use automatic paint sprayers...
Adding an Outdoor Deck to Your Home
Adding an outdoor deck to your backyard will add a lot of character and style to your house. It is a great first impression and could increase the...
10 Budget Friendly Tips to Keep Your House Warm
Keeping the house warm during winters can be an expensive task. Especially if you are on a budget or trying to cut back on extra costs. While some...
Modern Bathroom Innovations
Advances in design and production techniques, combined with the explosion of choice the internet offers, have seriously increased the expectations...