- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 214
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 210
- Appliance / Repair — 159
- Interior Design / Decor — 149
- Real Estate / Finance — 132
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 107
- Doors / Garages — 96
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 95
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 94
- Construction / Materials — 87
- Improvements / Remodeling — 85
- Plumbing / Basements — 84
8 Great Home Buying Tips
by Sol Kruk on Aug 17, 2018
There is a lot to think about when considering a new home. Feeling overwhelmed and confused is easy, but don’t let emotions take over to the point of falling into some avoidable traps.
Here are eight home buying tips to consider before entering the market.
1. Know your credit. This will be a large basis for the mortgage you will need to purchase your new home. By contacting the three major credit bureaus you can obtain a copy from each. Both your score and your payment histories will be in question. Typically for the very best mortgages, a score above 660 and no late payments in the past 12 – 24 months will be required.
2. Know your budget. Mortgage companies will have the final word on how much you are qualified for. But knowing what will be comfortable for you is most important, particularly when mortgage companies qualify you for more than you may be comfortable paying each month. If there is any home buying tip you take from your research, let it be the phrase “Don’t get in over your head.”
3. Consider more than just the payment. When you are considering what constitutes a comfortable payment, don’t just look at the mortgage payment. This is only the principal and the interest due on the loan. In addition, property taxes and homeowner’s insurance will be added to your payment. In some cases, association dues or mortgage insurance may apply.
4. Take a homebuyer class. These classes are valuable resources, especially for first time homebuyers. Counselors leading these classes will offer several great home buying tips as well as homeownership considerations that may not have crossed your mind.
5. Know what you want and what you need in a home. There is a fine line between what you need in a home – like at least three bedrooms if you have 2 or more children – and what you want in a home – like a pool in the backyard. Take some time to consider these very carefully, write them out, and determine which are “needs” and which are “wants.” These are very important items to discuss with your realtor to help you find the home that meets your ideals.
6. Work with a real estate agent you trust. Realtors have experience and access to things you don’t. You will work closely with your agent, maybe even daily. This may be the most valuable relationship you have in your home buying transaction, so interview more than one agent.
7. Visit your prospective home at different times of the day and week. What may seem like a quiet street at 10 am on Sunday in the summer may be a bustling court of chaos at 8 pm on a Saturday.
8. Get all the property inspections. Some inspections are required, like an appraisal to determine the value of the property. But every available inspection is more peace of mind that your new home will be in good working order and structurally sound. Check on termite inspections, well and septic inspections, roof inspection, radon gas inspection, and any others that may apply. Your realtor can also be a great help with these inspections.
These home buying tips should certainly wrap your mind around the important points to consider when buying a new home. Be patient, be mindful, and be thoughtful of what is most important to you. This will be the driving force behind finding your dream home.
Want more home buying tips? Check out American Home Guides home buying tips archive offering articles about finding and buying a home. Also, check out these tips and tricks from the home buying guide at About.com.
Most Recent Articles
- Aug 27, 2019 Use a Budget Calculator When Considering a Property Purchase by Nick Marr
- Aug 21, 2019 Five Top Tips to Prepare Your House for Sale on the Outside and Inside by Nick Marr
- Aug 17, 2019 5 Things You Must Know Before Buying a New Home by Priyank Soni
- Aug 16, 2019 How to Sell Your House Fast by Nick Marr
- Jul 24, 2019 How To Start Funding Your Home Repairs by Martyn Weber