- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 209
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 209
- Appliance / Repair — 159
- Interior Design / Decor — 147
- Real Estate / Finance — 127
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 106
- Doors / Garages — 97
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 94
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 91
- Construction / Materials — 84
- Safety / Security — 82
- Improvements / Remodeling — 81
Why do I have Moisture on my Windows?
by Michigan State University on Apr 26, 2012
Your humidistat is set too high if excessive moisture collects on windows and other cold surfaces. Excess humidity for a prolonged time can damage walls especially when outdoor air temperatures are very low. Excess moisture condenses on window glass because the glass is cold. Other sources of excess moisture besides overuse of a humidifier may be long showers, running water for other uses, boiling or steaming in cooking, plants, and drying clothes indoors. A tight, energy efficient house holds more moisture inside; you may need to run a kitchen or bath ventilating fan sometimes, or open a window briefly. Storm windows and caulking around windows keep the interior glass warmer and reduce condensation of moisture there.
Humidifiers are not recommended for use in buildings without proper vapor barriers because of potential damage from moisture buildup. Consult a building contractor to determine the adequacy of the vapor barrier in your house. Use a humidity indicator to measure the relative humidity in your house. The American Society of Heating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) recommends these maximum indoor humidity levels.
Outdoor Recommended Indoor
Most Recent Articles
- May 28, 2019 Benefits and Advantages of Double Glazing Windows at Home by Jerry Murrows
- May 9, 2019 Are Replacement Windows a Good Investment for your Home? by Boris Dzhingarov
- Nov 21, 2018 Should You DIY Your Window Installation? by Boris Dzhingarov
- Oct 18, 2018 Replacement Windows and their Effect on Your Home’s Energy Efficiency by Valerie Muscat
- Sep 27, 2018 Top 7 Myths About Double Glazed Windows by Rohit