- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 189
- Garden / Landscaping — 171
- Appliance / Repair — 149
- Interior Design / Decor — 134
- Real Estate / Finance — 98
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 96
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 77
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 69
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 64
- Plumbing / Basements — 61
- Safety / Security — 61
- Construction / Materials — 58
Kitchen Counters: A Materials Overview
by Guest on Feb 27, 2010
Kitchen countertops are available in an almost limitless array of materials and colors. Nothing beats granite for durability, stainless steel for a contemporary, functional look, or tile for timeless charm. Below are some of the more common counter surfaces with their respective advantages and disadvantages.
||Clean with sponge and nonabrasive cleanser.||$10-20 a linear ft.|
||Sponge clean with household cleanser. To maintain glossy finish, avoid overusing harsh abrasives.||$35-80 linear foot depending on tile selection|
Seal with salad oil if used for food preparation; otherwise seal with commercial sealant.
|$40-70 sq. ft.|
|$60+ sq. ft.|
||Clean with sponge and mild cleanser.||$60+ sq. ft.|
|Solid surfacing (i.e., Corian)||
||Clean with mild cleanser.
Minor scratches can be removed by buffing with an abrasive pad.
|$100-150 linear ft.|
||Wipe with sponge and mild cleanser.
Reseal regularly with wax or sealant.
|$200-300 linear ft.|
||Wipe clean with a sponge and cleanser.||Cost depends on fabrication and edge finish. Custom fabrication is $300-500 per linear foot.|
||For unfinished surfaces, use mineral oil weekly. Sand and refinish stains and burns.
For finished surfaces, clean with a damp cloth and a mild cleanser.
|$50+ per linear foot|
Most Recent Articles
- Aug 11, 2017 5 Tips to Choose the Right Tile for Your Bathroom by Guest
- Jul 25, 2017 6 Ways You Can Spruce Up Your Kitchen on a Budget by James Cummings
- Jul 7, 2017 7 Simple and Affordable Ways to Update the Look of your Master Bathroom by Vincent Pezzimenti
- Jun 7, 2017 How to Remove Calcium Deposits from a Showerhead by William parrett
- Apr 4, 2017 How to Install a Bathroom Vanity by Alex Cordier