- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 184
- Garden / Landscaping — 165
- Appliance / Repair — 143
- Interior Design / Decor — 129
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 93
- Real Estate / Finance — 93
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 68
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 68
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 59
- Safety / Security — 59
- Construction / Materials — 57
- Windows / Siding — 56
Kitchen Counters: A Materials Overview
by Guest on Feb 27, 2010
Kitchen countertops are available in an almost limitless array of materials and colors. Nothing beats granite for durability, stainless steel for a contemporary, functional look, or tile for timeless charm. Below are some of the more common counter surfaces with their respective advantages and disadvantages.
||Clean with sponge and nonabrasive cleanser.||$10-20 a linear ft.|
||Sponge clean with household cleanser. To maintain glossy finish, avoid overusing harsh abrasives.||$35-80 linear foot depending on tile selection|
Seal with salad oil if used for food preparation; otherwise seal with commercial sealant.
|$40-70 sq. ft.|
|$60+ sq. ft.|
||Clean with sponge and mild cleanser.||$60+ sq. ft.|
|Solid surfacing (i.e., Corian)||
||Clean with mild cleanser.
Minor scratches can be removed by buffing with an abrasive pad.
|$100-150 linear ft.|
||Wipe with sponge and mild cleanser.
Reseal regularly with wax or sealant.
|$200-300 linear ft.|
||Wipe clean with a sponge and cleanser.||Cost depends on fabrication and edge finish. Custom fabrication is $300-500 per linear foot.|
||For unfinished surfaces, use mineral oil weekly. Sand and refinish stains and burns.
For finished surfaces, clean with a damp cloth and a mild cleanser.
|$50+ per linear foot|
Most Recent Articles
- Mar 3, 2017 Bathroom Renovations Start With Bathroom Vanities by Pavel
- Feb 15, 2017 6 Signs to Know That Your Kitchen Needs Remodeling by Guest
- Dec 1, 2016 5 Fun Ways to Upgrade Your Kitchen by Guest
- Nov 21, 2016 How to Find and Buy the Best Walk-In Bathtub Today by Charlie Brown
- Oct 28, 2016 These Bathroom Trends Will Become More Popular in 2017 by Jane Brown