- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 187
- Garden / Landscaping — 169
- Appliance / Repair — 149
- Interior Design / Decor — 131
- Real Estate / Finance — 97
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 95
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 73
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 68
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 61
- Safety / Security — 60
- Construction / Materials — 57
- Plumbing / Basements — 57
The Joys of a Traditional Kitchen
by Lorena Benchis on Nov 18, 2011
One of the thrills of living in a period property is the opportunity to restore it to its former glory. Sometimes this can mean sourcing appropriate pieces or materials for the house, or it may be that you need to renovate the fabric of the building or items within it. When it comes to Victorian or Georgian projects there is no shortage of original and replica furnishings and fittings to choose from, and in fact browsing for these types of goods has become something of a national pastime!
One of the rooms well worth preserving is definitely the kitchen. Traditional kitchens are often much larger than those deigned into modern developments and therefore the furniture is equally large in proportion, like kitchen worktops for example. If you are looking to revamp your old traditional kitchen then this is something to keep in mind as you make your plans. Who doesn’t love an enormous scrubbed pine kitchen table, big enough to seat all your relatives and a few of the neighbours too? And how about those spectacular and imposing Welsh dressers, built to house oversized soup tureens and vast serving platters alongside the everyday crockery.
Colour and decoration is another important consideration if you are hoping to retain an element of authenticity in your interior design plans. Start by researching the fashions for the year in which your home was built, and if this doesn’t quite fit your taste then employ a little creative license and see if the trends a few years either side are more you. Where possible stay true to the house by retaining original features and furniture, making sure that any repair work is carried out sensitively. If however, your property is beyond restoration in some parts then look to buy new and just select styles appropriately. For your kitchen it is worth getting an expert opinion so head to www.wrenkitchens.com and speak to an experienced consultant in order to ensure you make the right decisions and enjoy your kitchen and home for years to come.
Most Recent Articles
- Jul 25, 2017 6 Ways You Can Spruce Up Your Kitchen on a Budget by James Cummings
- Jul 7, 2017 7 Simple and Affordable Ways to Update the Look of your Master Bathroom by Vincent Pezzimenti
- Jun 7, 2017 How to Remove Calcium Deposits from a Showerhead by William parrett
- Apr 4, 2017 How to Install a Bathroom Vanity by Alex Cordier
- Apr 4, 2017 How to Build a Bath Frame by Alex Cordier