- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 179
- Garden / Landscaping — 161
- Appliance / Repair — 141
- Interior Design / Decor — 117
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 91
- Real Estate / Finance — 78
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 65
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 59
- Windows / Siding — 53
- Builders Associations — 52
- Doors / Garages — 52
- Safety / Security — 52
The Joys of a Traditional Kitchen
by Lorena Benchis on Nov 18, 2011
One of the thrills of living in a period property is the opportunity to restore it to its former glory. Sometimes this can mean sourcing appropriate pieces or materials for the house, or it may be that you need to renovate the fabric of the building or items within it. When it comes to Victorian or Georgian projects there is no shortage of original and replica furnishings and fittings to choose from, and in fact browsing for these types of goods has become something of a national pastime!
One of the rooms well worth preserving is definitely the kitchen. Traditional kitchens are often much larger than those deigned into modern developments and therefore the furniture is equally large in proportion, like kitchen worktops for example. If you are looking to revamp your old traditional kitchen then this is something to keep in mind as you make your plans. Who doesn’t love an enormous scrubbed pine kitchen table, big enough to seat all your relatives and a few of the neighbours too? And how about those spectacular and imposing Welsh dressers, built to house oversized soup tureens and vast serving platters alongside the everyday crockery.
Colour and decoration is another important consideration if you are hoping to retain an element of authenticity in your interior design plans. Start by researching the fashions for the year in which your home was built, and if this doesn’t quite fit your taste then employ a little creative license and see if the trends a few years either side are more you. Where possible stay true to the house by retaining original features and furniture, making sure that any repair work is carried out sensitively. If however, your property is beyond restoration in some parts then look to buy new and just select styles appropriately. For your kitchen it is worth getting an expert opinion so head to www.wrenkitchens.com and speak to an experienced consultant in order to ensure you make the right decisions and enjoy your kitchen and home for years to come.
Most Recent Articles
- Oct 21, 2016 The Best Way to Clean Your Kitchen Cabinets by Niv Orlian
- Aug 9, 2016 What Restaurants Can Teach You About the Kitchen of Your Dreams by Jane Brown
- Jun 25, 2016 Small Spaces, Big Design: How to Make the Most of Your Tiny Bathroom by Guest
- Jun 25, 2016 Why Corian Is A Proven Performer In The Home by Jane Brown
- Jun 16, 2016 Six Reasons for Choosing Offsite Storage in Older Homes and Bathroom Renovations by Charlie Brown