- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 246
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 232
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 180
- Real Estate / Finance — 177
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 143
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 134
- Improvements / Remodeling — 123
- Doors / Garages — 111
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 111
- Plumbing / Basements — 110
- Safety / Security — 108
Dryer Vent Cleaning: When, Why & How?
by Guest on Nov 16, 2019
Your dryer vent allows the hot air from the dryer to pass out of doors, however, over time the vent dryer can become clogged with lint resulting in clothes dryer working less efficiently taking much longer to dry a load of clothing and resulting in higher energy bills and possible fires.
All dryers have a lint filter that is designed to catch the lint that comes off the clothes, however, it is impossible for this filter to catch all of the lint especially if the filter is not cleaned after each load of laundry. Any lint that gets passed the filter and gets trapped inside the crevices of the lint filter trap and the ductwork as well.
Signs Your Dryer Vent Needs Cleaning
There are signs that warn you that your dryer vent needs to be cleaned. These signs include:
- Your clothing is suddenly taking longer to dry forcing you to run your clothes through part or all of another cycle.
- When you take the clothes out the dryer your clothing feels hotter than normal.
- The outside of the dryer is hot to the touch.
- The humidity in your laundry room increases.
- You Can Clean Your Dryer Vent Yourself, But Hire A Professional
- The Internet has several and articles on how to clean them yourself. However, since the ductwork needs to be taken apart for proper cleaning it is best to have a professional clean your dryer vents for you. Or you might try this handy vent cleaner device that hooks to your drill, and allow for the vent to not be taken apart.
Here is what dryer vent cleaning entails.
The vent cleaning professional will either shut off the gas to your dryer or unplug the electricity to your dryer. They will need to remove your dryer out from the wall in order to perform a complete vent cleaning.
- The lint filter will be removed and cleaned. (This should be done after every load, but the vent cleaning professionals will at least check and make sure it clean.) Once the lint trap filter is removed and cleaned the lint trap itself will be cleaned using a specially made dry vent brush. This brush if flexible and designed to reach clear to the bottom of the dryer trap.
- The ductwork then needs to be taken apart and each piece is cleaned using another special duct cleaning brush. This may require each section of the ductwork to be cleaned with a brush two or three times with the brush being cleaned of all lint between cleaning.
- The vent cleaner will then clean the flap at the end of the dryer vent to ensure it is free of dust and the vent is working properly.
- Once everything is properly cleaned the vent cleaning professional will reassemble the ductwork and put everything back in order.
How Often Should Your Dryer Vents Be Cleaned?
It is recommended that you clean or have your dryer vent cleaned at least once a year. However, if you have a large family and doing a lot of laundries you may want to have your dryer vent 2 or 3 times a year.
Most Recent Articles
- Jul 24, 2021 Warning Signs That You Should Know If Your HVAC System Needs Cleaning by Guest
- Jul 22, 2021 Why You Should Have Your Carpet Cleaned After an Illness? by Nick Marr
- Jul 14, 2021 Carpet Cleaning Method to Choose From by Guest
- May 31, 2021 Select Home Warranty Review (scam or legit?) by Ester Adams
- May 3, 2021 8 Ways You Could Be Ruining Your Home Without Realizing by Tammy Emineth