- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 218
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 213
- Appliance / Repair — 159
- Interior Design / Decor — 150
- Real Estate / Finance — 136
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 107
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 100
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 99
- Doors / Garages — 98
- Improvements / Remodeling — 93
- Construction / Materials — 90
- Plumbing / Basements — 87
Dryer Vent Cleaning: When, Why & How?
by Guest on Nov 16, 2019
Your dryer vent allows the hot air from the dryer to pass out of doors, however over time the vent dryer can become clogged with lint resulting in clothes dryer working less efficiently taking much longer to dry a load of clothing and resulting in higher energy bills and possible fires.
All dryers have a lint filter that is designed to catch the lint that comes off the clothes, however it is impossible for this filter to catch all of the lint especially if the filter is not cleaned after each load of laundry. Any lint that gets passed the filter and gets trapped inside the crevices of the lint filter trap and the ductwork as well.
Signs Your Dryer Vent Needs Cleaning
There are signs that warn you that your dryer vent needs to be cleaned. These signs include:
· Your clothing is suddenly taking longer to dry forcing you to run your clothes through part or all of another cycle.
· When you take the clothes out the dryer your clothing feels hotter than normal.
· The outside of the dryer is hot to the touch.
· The humidity in your laundry room increases.
You Can Clean Your Dryer Vent Yourself, But Hire A Professional
The Internet has several vent cleaning videos and articles on how to clean them yourself. However, since the duct work needs to be taken apart for proper cleaning it is best to have a professional local duct cleaning service clean your dryer vents for you.
Here is what dryer vent cleaning entails.
The vent cleaning professional will either shut off the gas to your dryer or unplug the electricity to your dryer. They will need to remove your dryer out from the wall in order perform a complete vent cleaning.
The lint filter will removed and cleaned. (This should be done after every load, but the vent cleaning professionals will at least check and make sure it clean.) Once the lint trap filter is removed and cleaned the lint trap itself will be cleaned using a specially made dry vent brush. This brush if flexible and designed to reach clear to the bottom of the dryer trap.
The duct work then needs to be taken apart and each piece is cleaned using another special duct cleaning brush. This may require each section of the duct work to be cleaned with brush two or three times with the brush being cleaned of all lint between cleaning.
The vent cleaner will then clean the flap at the end of the dryer vent to ensure it is free of dust and the vent is working properly.
Once everything is properly cleaned the vent cleaning professional will reassemble the ductwork and put everything back in order.
How Often Should Your Dryer Vents Be Cleaned?
It is recommended that you clean or have your dryer vent cleaned at least once year. However, if you have a large family and doing a lot of laundry you may want to have your dryer vent 2 or 3 times a year.
Most Recent Articles
- Dec 5, 2019 How to Keep Your Windows Properly Maintained by Nick Marr
- Nov 23, 2019 Things You Should Know before You Hire a Company for Removing Junk by Charlie Brown
- Oct 24, 2019 5 Home Maintenance Tasks for Waterfront Homes by Tammy Emineth
- Oct 5, 2019 How to Keep a Vegan Restaurant Clean by Guest
- Oct 3, 2019 5 Easy-to-Forget Tasks to Get Your Home Ready for the Holidays by Valerie Muscat