Common Garage Door Problems and Solutions
by Thomas Lynam on Jul 7, 2018
Which are the most common garage door problems and their solutions? Should we consider some problems more serious than others? Read more here.
Common Garage Door Problems and Solutions
There is a number of garage door problems that will cause annoyance and inconvenience. Isn't it frustrating when one of the garage door tracks is dented and you need to fix it? It surely is. But from dealing with a few track dents to not being able to open the door, there is a distance. Does that mean what we consider minor problems should be neglected? Definitely not.
There is no doubt that a few track dents won't bring the overhead garage door to a halt. But if the problem is not fixed, the damage will only get worse. The result? The door will get noisier. The track will eventually need replacement instead of repair. Other parts might be affected. And at some point, your door might get jammed. We made a big circle around a single problem to pinpoint the importance of garage door repair.
Nevertheless, there are some problems that will keep you from using your garage doors today. Or that will make the door unsafe. Or that they will risk your security. It's no wonder why there are often labeled emergency problems and handled by professionals with some priority.
Which are the main garage door problems?
- The garage door won't open
When the garage door refuses to move upwards, you cannot drive out or bring the car in. And there is definitely a reason for it. The most usual suspects include:
- The garage door springs, which they are the only parts with the power to lift the door. If they are broken, the door will remain closed. The only thing you can do in this case is call a tech for garage door spring replacement.
- The garage door opener, which won't initiate the automatic movement of the door if the motor is disconnected or damaged. You should also check the power in the garage, the sockets, and the wires. Check the components of the garage door motor and the clicker & its battery. Opener problems are not easy to detect. You need a tech to troubleshoot.
- If the tracks are filled with debris, small or bigger rocks, and other objects which found their way in your garage in a windy day, the movement of the sectional doors will be obstructed. So, check the tracks, remove dirt, search for bent sections and make sure the garage door rollers sit in the tracks and haven't popped off.
- It's also important to check the lock mode of the opener. It might be accidentally turned to the locking position and so the door won't open before you reset it.
- The garage door won't close
Garage doors don't close due to similar track problems but more often when there is a problem with the opener. Opener issues would include:
- The down travel limit is not set right or need adjustments.
- The sensors are not aligned and thus keep the door from closing.
When it comes to garage door opener repairs, always trust a pro because nothing is clear with such problems and your safety is at stake.
Other common problems with garage doors
- Loud noises are often signs of damaged parts and lack of lubes. You can avoid them with regularly maintenance lubrication. Check the rollers and tracks, and the springs. When they get rusty, they get noisy.
- The door might come down faster if the springs are damaged or the cables are coming off their drums.
- If the overhead door is not reversing readily upon contact with an object, you need to adjust the force of the opener.
- If there is a small gap under the door, check the garage door bottom seal and replace it if it's worn. Alternatively, adjust the down travel limit.
All problems are caused when the garage door parts are damaged, broken, misaligned, or installed incorrectly. And there are all sorts of reasons why some parts wear faster than they should. In any case what you need to remember is that all the symptoms you experience are signs of problems, which urgent or not, must be fixed quickly and right.
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 260
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 239
- Real Estate / Finance — 194
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 183
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 147
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 143
- Improvements / Remodeling — 131
- Plumbing / Basements — 116
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 115
- Doors / Garages — 113
- Safety / Security — 112