- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 208
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 204
- Appliance / Repair — 157
- Interior Design / Decor — 143
- Real Estate / Finance — 114
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 104
- Doors / Garages — 97
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 91
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 86
- Plumbing / Basements — 79
- Construction / Materials — 77
- Improvements / Remodeling — 76
Simple Cleaning Tips for Maintenance of a Varnished Hardwood Flooring
by Guest on Apr 4, 2012
Efficient upkeep of a wood floor starts with frequent and regular cleaning utilizing a broom and/or a vacuum cleaner to remove as much dirt or grit as possible. Dust, as well as grit, will produce minimal abrasion, dulling the finish over the years. The excellent habit of brooming and/or vacuuming on a regular basis will certainly add some years to any floors with no need to revarnish.
Now that the wood floor is rid of particles, grit and dust, it is now time to use a wood floor cleaner mainly made for cleaning hardwood floors (or for cleaning laminate floors). Using a mop mainly designed for this task is suitable. Microfiber mops will not damage wood floorings. A good cleaning movement should follow the structural laminations of the floor for effective maintenance and cleaning. Make sure to clean the mop when it is getting dirty, then keep going with the cleaning. The mop shouldn’t have to be used as often as the vacuum and/or the broom for cleaning. Even so, cleaning with the mop once a month should probably be suitable.
Try avoiding oil-based cleaners to clean the floor. Waxes and some oil-based cleaners can leave an oily film, damage the floor or make it slippery. It could also make the hardwood floor more difficult to upkeep.
Even with rigorous maintenance and cleaning of your flooring, the flooring should get the protection of a good quality varnish. Today, an impressive variety of good varnishes are recommended and easily available. Depending on the composition of the varnish, the many distinguishing qualities of hardness, transparency, resistance, and brightness will certainly vary. Applying on a wood floor a good varnish represents a smart choice when considering the duration of your wood flooring.
Most Recent Articles
- Jan 25, 2019 Advantages and Disadvantages of Reclaimed Hardwood Floors by Guest
- Sep 26, 2018 How to Self Levelling a Concrete Floor: Compounds & Techniques by Sally Smith
- Jul 9, 2018 7 Tips for Choosing the Right Bathroom Tiles by Rohit
- Apr 30, 2018 How to Clean and Maintain Hardwood Floors by newsy siso
- Jan 5, 2018 The Carpet Cleaning Guide to Dry Wet Carpets by Cliff Brimmer