- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 186
- Garden / Landscaping — 169
- Appliance / Repair — 149
- Interior Design / Decor — 131
- Real Estate / Finance — 96
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 95
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 72
- Bedroom / Furnishings — 68
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 62
- Safety / Security — 60
- Construction / Materials — 57
- Windows / Siding — 56
How to Create Space in an Already Compact Room
by James Helliwell on Apr 28, 2015
Everyone is always trying to create more space in their homes. I’m sure that there’s one room in your house that's smaller than all the others and that you wish you could increase the size! Well there are a few tips you can do to encourage the illusion of space within an already compact room and there are not as difficult or as expensive as you may think! So if your house or room is a little on the compact and cozy side and you want it to seem a little bit bigger, follow these tips below!
Get It Off The Floor
Is there anything on the floor that you can put on the walls? What I mean by that is, can you put shelves up on the wall and put your books, photos and DVD’s (for example) on the walls instead. By doing this you're saving floor space and moving it to the sides of the room and out the way. Likewise, consider wall mounting your television. You’ll be surprised how much room it saves!
Compact and Simple
Anything in the room thats big and clunky, look and see if there's a smaller alternative. Do you really need that 6 foot high floor lamp with that imposing base? Probably not. Likewise do you really need that 3 metre long and 4 foot deep thigh high radiator to heat the room? Definitely not; get a compact radiator instead! Look at your options and decide accordingly.
Letting in as much natural light as possible is a common trick that lots of people use, especially when trying to sell their house in the future. The more natural light gives the illusion of having more space in the room. open up those windows and curtains as much as possible!
Remove Unnecessary Items
Do you really need that side table next to the sofa? Is it really necessary to have that extra chair in the corner? How about that bookcase, is that really needed? What I’m saying is, if it's not needed get rid of it! Simple. Create space by removing things you really don't need in that room
Hopefully these small tips will help your compact room give you a few more feet of space!
Most Recent Articles
- May 19, 2017 How to Add the Right Accent to your Home Decor? by Charlie Brown
- Apr 28, 2017 His and Hers, and Dream Conveniences are all The Rage In New Luxury Home Design by Luke Sousa
- Mar 7, 2017 Tips for a Cosier Conservatory by Ryan Duffy
- Feb 22, 2017 How to Measure a Window for Blinds by Alex Cordier
- Feb 16, 2017 4 Tips for Decorating your Studio Apartment by Jane Brown