Garage Door Replacement Is Harder Than You Think
by Chris Dozier on Aug 17, 2014
Getting a new garage door can be a very exciting and pleasant process indeed. With so many choices and beautiful designs, you can dress the garage entrance in the most colorful garment on the market. Though, the process of garage door replacement does not involve only the aesthetical part of the door; it entails a series of responsible decisions. And your decisions today will have an impact on your comfort, security, and safety tomorrow.
After all, the main reason why you install a new door is to shield your home's security. So, invest in it. When you make the right choices in terms of materials and parts, you will have peace of mind that the purpose is fulfilled, the door will move safely and you'll have everything you dreamt of.
The proper steps to replace the garage door
So, start thinking about the door before you look for one. There are so many different choices that you'll probably get confused. Of course, garage door repair companies can always help you but it's prudent to know what you need based on personal requirements.
- Will you stick to the same door type as before? Each door opens differently and that will help you decide. Do you have the space for swing hung doors in the driveway or you'll stick to overhead ones? Make sure to measure the opening of the garage and the backside to get the right size.
- Time to select the material. What are the weather conditions there? You'll want to choose materials resistant to rain, moisture, and mist. If you prefer wood, make sure it has good finishes to avoid frequent maintenance or even better go for composite wood. Steel is an excellent option but it's best to be galvanized. Also, choose low gauge steel since it's stronger.
- Windows are nice but not always recommended for regions with strong winds since flying debris could cause serious damage.
- It's preferable to get insulated panels. They'll be excellent for the cold winters of the city and will save you on energy bills.
- Since garage door parts must be selected by the door's weight, check to see if the new door is heavier and make the necessary replacements.
- For the same reason, check the opener. The motor must have sufficient horsepower to operate the door. In any case, maintain the system, make sure to check the sensors and proceed with garage door opener repair to be sure that the new mechanism will be great.
Three Places to Spend Money on the Exterior of Your Home
When you have the exterior of your home remodeled, you are investing, time, energy and convenience into the project and you want to make sure that...
When to Use a Brush, Roller or Sponge Brush
Brushes are a good choice for painting trim and woodwork. They are also useful for cutting in the edges around the top and bottom edges and corners...
Homemade Headboards-Make an Upholstered or Wooden Headboard
Homemade headboards can add a lot of personality to any bedroom. They can be coordinated with existing furniture and room decor or they can be the...
Creating a Cottage Kitchen with Bead Board
Kitchen decor can range from modern and bold to elegant and elaborate by using strategic kitchen pieces. One of the most popular decorating trends...
Gas Fireplace Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
Follow these steps for diagnosing and troubleshooting Gas Fireplaces repairs. For the average DIYer, this may seem intimidating, depending on the...
An All-Inclusive Guide to Eco-Friendly Interior Design: 5 Ways to Do It Best
Over 100 countries have enforced policies on sustainable consumption and production according to the 2018 UN Sustainable Development Goals Report....
on May 3, 2023
Unique Ways to Clean Your Window Tracks
As we get closer to springtime you might be noticing that your windows need a good cleaning. Not only is it your windows, but it is the window...
on Apr 3, 2023
Navigating Singapore's Property Regulations: A Guide for Foreign Investors
Singapores property market has been attracting foreign investors for many years, thanks to its stable economy, strong legal system, and transparent...
on Mar 22, 2023
What Truck Size Do I Need to Move a 3-Bedroom House
Moving to a new home can be a complex and stressful process, but with the help of the right truck size, you can make it a smooth and seamless...
on Feb 13, 2023
Five Tips to Take Better Care of Your Basement Insulation
Basement waterproofing is an essential part of home maintenance, as it helps to protect the basement from moisture, flooding, and other...
on Feb 12, 2023
What Type of Licensed Contractor Should You Hire?
on Feb 28, 2017
Hire Contractors / Estimates
Looking for a specialty project? There are many types of contractors available for your home improvement needs. Finding the right type of...
- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 260
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 239
- Real Estate / Finance — 195
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 184
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 147
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 144
- Improvements / Remodeling — 131
- Plumbing / Basements — 118
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 115
- Doors / Garages — 113
- Safety / Security — 112
More DIY Articles
Choosing the Right Heating Unit for Your Home
It can be very tempting to buy cheap heaters. When you look at these models, you may not get what you are looking for. It may only be a matter of...
Opening Up a Room with Mirrored Doors
On moving into a new home, one of the first things most people tend to do is to start decorating and refurbishing in order to put their own mark on...
Your Homes Secret Enemy: Managing Mold and Moisture
Reducing the occurrence of moisture in the house can help not only keep humidity low, but it can reduce the risk of mold and mildew and reduce...
Getting the Most out of Front Load Washers
Many people are turning to front load washers to get great results with their family’s laundry. Cleaning laundry is a chore that both men and women...
10 Big Ideas for Small Bathrooms
Just because the humble bathroom is perhaps the most utilitarian of all rooms doesn’t mean it can’t be beautiful. Still, if you, like many, have a...