- Garden / Landscaping / Patio — 248
- Kitchen / Bathrooms — 233
- Appliance / Repair — 185
- Interior Design / Decor — 180
- Real Estate / Finance — 179
- HVAC / Air Conditioning — 143
- Cleaning / Maintenance — 136
- Improvements / Remodeling — 126
- Doors / Garages — 111
- Floors / Tile / Hardwood — 111
- Plumbing / Basements — 111
- Safety / Security — 108
7 Furniture Shopping Tips for Newbies
by Jane Brown on Mar 21, 2016
Purchasing furniture for your new home or apartment is very exciting. You’ve likely already searched home décor blogs, magazines, and images looking for ideas on how to make your place feel like home. As you can imagine, there are a lot of different furniture pieces for you to choose from – therefore you do not want to rush the situation. Purchasing furniture requires more than just liking the way something looks and handing over cash, it requires a bit more attention to detail.
Check out these shopping tips below:
1. Purchase Protection. One of the first things you want to do before purchasing your furniture is to consider the type of protection you want. Although you hope your furniture will last a long time, a lot could go wrong. From unforeseen circumstances like a fire or leak to everyday wear and tear, the pieces you purchase could end up needing to be repaired and/or replaced. Legal protection such as renters insurance provides financial coverage for renters. It covers the cost of replacing or repairing furniture if it is damaged by unforeseen circumstances. Other forms of protection would include extended warranties and product protection.
2. Double Check the Measurements. After you’ve measured the dimensions in the room and the entryways, be sure to pack your measuring tape. You’ll want to double-check the dimensions of the furniture so that you don’t end up buying something that is too large to fit into your home. Though the measurements may be written down, you want to have an accurate recording for yourself. Measure it at least twice for accuracy.
3. Test it Out. How in the world are you supposed to know if a piece of furniture is comfortable if you don’t give it a try? As long as the vendor allows, be sure that you have a seat or lay down on the furniture. Focus on comfort, and functionality as they are most important.
4. Take it For a Lift. If you want to know the overall quality of a piece of furniture, try lifting it up. If the furniture is very light and easy to pick up, this may indicate that it is not made from the most durable materials. Be that as it may, you also don’t want to choose anything so heavy that you’ll have to pay movers every time you want to rearrange things in your living space.
5. Think About Maintenance. When you select a particular material, be sure that you ask the customer service representative how easy or difficult the material can be to maintain. While some materials such as leather can easily be wiped off and forgotten, other materials like suede are a bit more complex to manage. If you have young children in the house, you’ll probably want to find furniture that is easy to clean and maintain.
6. Negotiate the Price. When you shop for furniture, you should be prepared to bargain a little. Many furniture stores will offer you an item at a lower rate if you’re willing to pay cash upfront or have a decent credit history. No matter what the sticker price is, don’t be afraid to ask about discounts and savings to bring the costs down to an affordable amount.
7. Think About Functionality. What will the furniture be used for? This is a question you need to ask before making a final purchase. Determining what it will be used for can help you in determining which material is best. If you’re looking for furniture for a kid’s room, for instance, you would go with pieces that are sturdy and materials that are easy to wipe clean.
Don’t get bogged down by all the selections of furniture out there. These seven tips should make the shopping experience a lot more enjoyable. They will also aide you in making the most informed decision as you make one of your first investments into your new living space. Once you’ve purchased your furniture, you get to have fun finding ways to position it in your home.
Most Recent Articles
- Jun 25, 2021 Kelly Clarksons 7 Must-Have Home Essentials by Guest
- Jun 24, 2021 How to Bring Affordable Luxury to Your Home by Guest
- Jun 21, 2021 5 Things Homeowners Change Most in Their Homes by Guest
- Apr 30, 2021 How Can Epoxy Refresh Your Office Space? by Russell Michelson
- Mar 6, 2021 How to Create Space in an Already Compact Room by Guest